FDA finalises safety rules in US
US food safety regs finalised
The US Food and Drug Administration has finalised its long-awaited new food safety rules, with a compliance deadline for larger businesses of September next year.
The new regulations, introduced under the Food Safety Modernisation Act (FSMA), include preventative controls to stop the spread of food borne illnesses in food products. The regulations follow consultation with the food industry and other interested parties, which began back in January 2013.
The regulation includes a requirement that food manufacturers produce and implement a detailed plan that identifies possible sources of pathogens and establishes ways to prevent those pathogens from contaminating food products. Manufacturing and production facilities must also establish a risk-based supply chain program that identifies preventative controls for raw materials and ingredients that could potentially represent a food safety "hazard".
The regulation will cover the majority of packaged foods on sale in the US. Meat and dairy producers are exempt from the rules as they fall under the jurisdiction of the US Department of Agriculture.
Responding to the final rule, Grocery Manufacturers' Association president and CEO Pamela Bailey said: "FSMA ensures that prevention is the cornerstone of our nation's food safety strategy, places new responsibilities on food and beverage manufacturers, and provides the FDA with the authorities it needs to further strengthen our nation’s food safety net.
"FSMA represents a comprehensive system of preventative measures so it is essential that FDA be appropriately resourced to effectively implement and enforce all of the food safety mandates set forth in the law. The food and beverage industry is committed to working with Congress, the Obama Administration and all stakeholders to ensure that Congress appropriates the necessary funding for FDA to fully implement FSMA."
Sectors: Food safety
With the rise in healthy, sports activities all over Taiwan, the exercise trend is spreading widely among students, colleagues and family members....
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Thailand: convenience to continue to thrive
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: Some Foods on rise of low-FODMAP market
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- Unilever in continuing price spat with Musgrave
- China milk powder arrests prompt Fonterra "review"
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review