US: FDA issues strategic plan for risk communication
The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has issued a Strategic Plan for Risk Communication, outlining its efforts to provide "more meaningful" public health information.
The plan also lays out a framework for the FDA to provide information about FDA-regulated products to health care professionals, patients and consumers and for how the agency oversees industry communications.
"We are committed to improving communications the public receives about the products we regulate," said commissioner of food and drugs Margaret Hamburg. "The FDA must communicate frequently and clearly about risks and benefits and inform patients and consumers about ways to minimize risk as they become increasingly involved in managing their health and well-being."
The plan defines three key areas - FDA's science base, its operational capacity and its policy and processes. The plan also identifies over 70 specific actions for the FDA to take over the next five years, including 14 that the agency commits to accomplishing over the next year.
These include developing a "library" of multi-media communications on safe food practices for general education purposes and developing detailed action plans for implementing action steps.
Sectors: Food safety
Those regulating the US food industry flexed their muscles this week with a series of warnings over "misleading" labels - much to the delight of consumer advocates....
PepsiCo's Quaker Foods North America is the latest firm to announce a recall due to possible salmonella contamination from HVP, or hydrolysed vegetable protein....
US retailer Publix has recalled four own-label seasoning mixes on concerns they could be contaminated with salmonella....
Spice maker McCormick & Co. is the latest company to be linked to the HVP salmonella scare in the US....
US food regulators had a busy few days this week. They were forced to deal with the latest salmonella scare to hit the industry, while firing off a series of warning letters to manufacturers - includi...
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- PepsiCo sets 2025 nutrition, sustainability goals
- China "transition" drags on Danone Q3
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- CP Foods invests in UK foodservice firm Foodfellas
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016