USA: Land O'Lakes: feeding on a shrinking market - COMMENT
Land O'Lakes will buy Purina Mills for $230 million. The dairy cooperative is trying to stay competitive in the shrinking US market for livestock and animal feed. But the future of the US livestock industry is not clear. Although the US has so far avoided the devastation of BSE ("mad cow") and foot and mouth, consumers are still showing concern, leading to a decrease in demand for red meat and red meat products. Dairy cooperative Land O'Lakes Inc. announced on Monday that it would buy third largest feed producer Purina Mills for approximately $230 million in cash to enhance its competitive position in the consolidating feed industry. Purina Mills will become part of Land O'Lakes Farmland Feed LLC following the acquisition. The company will add about $425 million in annual sales to Land O'Lakes' nearly $6 billion annual sales.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Focus: Thai demographics drive health categories
- Interview: Some Foods on rise of low-FODMAP market
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- China milk powder arrests prompt Fonterra "review"
- Unilever in continuing price spat with Musgrave
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review