USA: Land O'Lakes: feeding on a shrinking market - COMMENT
Land O'Lakes will buy Purina Mills for $230 million. The dairy cooperative is trying to stay competitive in the shrinking US market for livestock and animal feed. But the future of the US livestock industry is not clear. Although the US has so far avoided the devastation of BSE ("mad cow") and foot and mouth, consumers are still showing concern, leading to a decrease in demand for red meat and red meat products. Dairy cooperative Land O'Lakes Inc. announced on Monday that it would buy third largest feed producer Purina Mills for approximately $230 million in cash to enhance its competitive position in the consolidating feed industry. Purina Mills will become part of Land O'Lakes Farmland Feed LLC following the acquisition. The company will add about $425 million in annual sales to Land O'Lakes' nearly $6 billion annual sales.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- Wessanen's move for Spain's Biogran - analysis
- The key questions for digital strategists in 2017
- Unilever 2016 investor day - the top takeaways
- Whole Foods, Aldi, M&S - retail round-up, Nov 2016
- Burger King, Jollibee: foodservice focus, Nov 2016
- General Mills jobs to go in business revamp
- Verlinvest, China Resources invest in Oatly
- Hain Celestial appoints Nestle executive as US COO
- Chobani COO Burns to leave yogurt firm
- Tyson sets up US$150m investment fund
- How Brands Are Making Our Food Healthier
- Confectionery North America (NAFTA) Industry Guide_2016
- Processed Snacks (Savory Snacks) Market in the United States - Outlook to 2020: Market Size, Growth and Forecast Analytics
- Global Dried Processed Food Market 2016-2020
- Frozen Food Production in the US - Industry Market Research Report