FRANCE: Ferrero defends palm oil use in newspaper ads
Ferrero defends palm oil
Ferrero has today published a two-page ad in France's national press defending its use of palm oil in the recipe of its chocolate spread Nutella.
This week, the French Senate voted in favour of an amendment to a government bill that would increase a special tax on palm oil from EUR100 to EUR300 per tonne.
The Senate-initiated amendment has been justified on the grounds of promoting healthier eating and combating obesity. The bill will now return to the French Assembly for a second reading.
"Contrary to popular belief and certain opportunist statements, within the framework of a balanced diet, palm oil is not a danger to health. In terms of saturated fats, it has a nutritional profile close to butter," Ferrero said.
"Nutritionists say that its the consumption of saturated fats that must be monitored whereas Nutella on a slice of bread contains fewer saturated fats than the majority of other snacks and breakfasts [in Nutella's category]," Ferrero claimed.
Ferrero's ad also refers to its objective to use 100% sustainable palm oil by 2015.
Ferrero France is expected to maintain its leading position in confectionery and spreads, thanks to its strong brands, high reputation and wide consumer base. The company is forecast to develop new re...
In 2012, baked goods declined in volume due to the reduction in purchases of unpackaged/artisanal products. Bread, the main category in baked goods with 82% volume share, was negatively influenced by ...
Italian consumers are fond of chocolate confectionery products. Despite the economic crisis which has affected many packaged food categories, Italian consumers are showing a tendency not to renounce t...
- Infographic: Snapshot of Japan's food sector
- On the money: Solid Lindt outpaces chocolate peers
- M&A Watch: Raisio should sell to private equity
- On the money: Hain expects continued organic gains
- Spotlight: What could be impact of Russia's ban?
- Russian government eases ban on food imports
- Pork Farms buys Kerry Group's pastry plants
- Kerry cools claim spreads move could hit jobs
- Dr Oetker to buy McCain North America pizza arm
- Nestle makes "major pledge" on animal welfare