EU: Fischler calls for political leadership to make headway in WTO farm talks
Speaking at the QUINT meeting of farm ministers from Japan, the US, Canada, Australia and the European Union (EU), EU Farm Commissioner Franz Fischler called upon his colleagues to show political leadership to make headway in the WTO negotiations on agriculture. "Without an acceptable compromise in the agricultural negotiations, there is little hope for the Doha round", Fischler said. "A spirit of compromise and a process that provides leadership are essential ingredients to achieving successful results. Europe stands ready to do its part. The direction should be clear: reduce trade-distorting domestic support and all forms of export subsidisation, improve market access, provide more favourable treatment to developing countries, take into account non-trade concerns such as the environment, food safety, which are key to maintain public support to further trade liberalisation."
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- Unilever 2016 investor day - the top takeaways
- The key questions for digital strategists in 2017
- Wessanen's move for Spain's Biogran - analysis
- Burger King, Jollibee: foodservice focus, Nov 2016
- Have food promotions reached tipping point?
- General Mills jobs to go in business revamp
- Verlinvest, China Resources invest in Oatly
- B&G acquires pasta sauce group Victoria Fine Foods
- Japan's Nagatanien buys Chaucer Food Group
- Tyson sets up US$150m investment fund