EU: Fischler calls for political leadership to make headway in WTO farm talks
Speaking at the QUINT meeting of farm ministers from Japan, the US, Canada, Australia and the European Union (EU), EU Farm Commissioner Franz Fischler called upon his colleagues to show political leadership to make headway in the WTO negotiations on agriculture. "Without an acceptable compromise in the agricultural negotiations, there is little hope for the Doha round", Fischler said. "A spirit of compromise and a process that provides leadership are essential ingredients to achieving successful results. Europe stands ready to do its part. The direction should be clear: reduce trade-distorting domestic support and all forms of export subsidisation, improve market access, provide more favourable treatment to developing countries, take into account non-trade concerns such as the environment, food safety, which are key to maintain public support to further trade liberalisation."
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- Danone's Q1: four things to learn
- Nestle Q1 update: four things to learn
- Who will buy Danone's Stonyfield business?
- Column: Why snacking is the new meal
- Interview: KP Snacks on growth strategy
- Tyson shops Sara Lee bakery, Kettle and Van's
- Nestle to cut UK confectionery jobs
- PepsiCo affirms full-year target as Q1 hits mark
- Tyson to buy burger-to-entree firm AdvancePierre
- TreeHouse Foods sells soup, baby food units