EU: Fischler calls for political leadership to make headway in WTO farm talks
Speaking at the QUINT meeting of farm ministers from Japan, the US, Canada, Australia and the European Union (EU), EU Farm Commissioner Franz Fischler called upon his colleagues to show political leadership to make headway in the WTO negotiations on agriculture. "Without an acceptable compromise in the agricultural negotiations, there is little hope for the Doha round", Fischler said. "A spirit of compromise and a process that provides leadership are essential ingredients to achieving successful results. Europe stands ready to do its part. The direction should be clear: reduce trade-distorting domestic support and all forms of export subsidisation, improve market access, provide more favourable treatment to developing countries, take into account non-trade concerns such as the environment, food safety, which are key to maintain public support to further trade liberalisation."
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- Why personalisation will take-off in US food
- US food next wave on display at Winter Fancy Food
- Comment: Meal kits in US - don't believe the hype
- General Mills sales woes continue - analysis
- Interview: The Soulfull Project's mission
- Post Holdings 'close to acquiring Weetabix'
- Kraft Heinz cuts jobs in US, Canada
- Recipe-kit firm HelloFresh launches into UK retail
- Mondelez set for union crosshairs next week
- Mondelez plays down impact of union action