EU: Fischler calls upon Danish fishermen "to turn the tide of decline in the fisheries sector"
EU agriculture Commissioner Franz Fischler " has called for Danish fisherman to play a full part in reversing the decline of the EU fisheries sector. "Denmark has a long tradition of fishing which we should protect together by taking the measures necessary to promote the recovery of a growing number of our fish stocks which are depleted as a result of years of overfishing. Danish fishermen know too well the effects of too much fishing: dangerously small stocks, reduced catches and fish landings, shrinking income, job losses and the continuous weakening of coastal areas. I want to tell you today: we, stakeholders, can and must stop the rot. Let us turn the tide of decline together by taking the necessary decisions in the short-term to ensure the future of the sector in the long run. We have to urgently reduce the fishing pressure on fish stocks, we have to stop the madness of subsidising the building of vessels that threaten fish stocks and lose fishermen jobs. The Commission is determined to minimise the potential hardship for fishermen; this is why it has proposed to make more money available to help those who decide to leave the sector.", Commissioner Fischler, responsible for Agriculture, Rural Development and Fisheries, told Danish fishermen's organisations when he presented the proposals by the European Commission to reform the Common Fisheries Policy (CFP).
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- Nestle India grows with global, digital innovation
- How Nestle tackles Indian challenges - interview
- Lamb Weston goes it alone: six things to learn
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Thailand: convenience to continue to thrive
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Campbell backs US nutrition start-up Habit
- Mondelez focuses on margins as sales slip
- Nestle's Buitoni to remove GMOs
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Meat Processing in China - Industry Market Research Report