EU: Fischler helps farmers sell older meat on open market
Warning that "beef mountains are building up," the European Commissioner for farm policy, Mr Franz Fischler, today (Monday) announced a package of short-term emergency measures to help EU farmers unable to sell older meat in the open market. Broadly speaking the new scheme provides for the purchase by the Commission of unlimited quantities of beef older than 30 months (OTM) which is free of BSE. However the offer is restricted to countries which can show a full testing capacity of 30-month old animals and to those with a "specific weak market for cow beef," where prices are below a fixed trigger price. Brussels will meet 70% of the purchase costs. The UK will be exempted from the scheme as long as it applies its own OTM destruction scheme. Mr Fischler said Member States were free to store the beef, destroy it, give it away or sell it.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- Kraft Heinz: Innovation more important than ever
- Online snack seller Graze makes US retail debut
- Abbott sees international nutrition sales fall
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review