EU: Fischler ups pressure on fishery reforms
Franz Fischler, EU Commissioner forAgriculture, Rural Development and Fisheries, has once again spoken out on fishing practices in the EU. "I am convinced that it is more socially responsible to do everything that can be done to reduce fishing effort on stocks that are under threat, even if this inevitably means a smaller fleet, than doing nothing but just watch fishermen lose their jobs for lack of fish to catch. Inertia is costing 8,000 EU fishermen their jobs every year. How many more jobs must we lose before we say 'enough is enough' and take the necessary measures to restore fish stocks to levels that will ensure the sustainability of our fisheries? The reform will deliver a smaller but more economically and socially viable sector while helping fishermen who leave fishing find alternative jobs," Fischler said in London today [Monday], where he was presenting the Commission's proposals for the reform of the CFP.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Thailand: convenience to continue to thrive
- Nestle India grows with global, digital innovation
- Focus: Thai demographics drive health categories
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Unilever in continuing price spat with Musgrave
- China milk powder arrests prompt Fonterra "review"
- Nestle's Buitoni to remove GMOs
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review