THAILAND: Fish sauce causing death while sleeping?
Researchers in Thailand believe that fish sauce may be a contributory factor in deaths while sleeping. Associate Professor Somporn Triamchaisri of Mahidol University said that although it was difficult to determine the cause of 'sleep death' in apparently healthy Asian men, fish sauce and other fermented foods appeared to play a part in the fatal illness. The danger appears to be linked to tyramine, a chemical that occurs naturally in foods that contain a large amount of yeast and has been linked to sudden rises in blood pressure and is found in fish sauce.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- Does Kraft Heinz want to swallow Unilever whole?
- Focus: Nestle CEO plan to balance sales, earnings
- Comment: Meal kits in US - don't believe the hype
- US food next wave on display at Winter Fancy Food
- Why Reckitt Benckiser moved for Mead Johnson
- Kraft Heinz pursuing Unilever in takeover move
- Kraft Heinz pulls Unilever bid
- General Mills issues profit warning
- Kerry Group staff in Ireland suspend strike action
- Kerry operating earnings strengthen on slow sales