DENMARK: Fish swimming in poisons
A report published last week by the National Environmental Research Institute of Denmark has caused another food scare. It shows organotin compounds have widely found their way into the food chain (birds, fish and harbour dolphins). Tributyltin (TBT) and triphenyltin (TPhT) were found in the livers of fish caught in Danish waters. The analyses made were on liver tissue, the organ most likely to accumulate the compounds.The poisons end up in the sea from paint used on the hulls of ships, and as a fungicide on land.Fishing in Copenhagen harbour is already forbidden, where butyl tin levels in cod and flounder is 10 times higher than in the Belt Sea. Levels in harbour porpoise were among the highest in the world, with 0.33 to 4.61 mg per kg liver. At these levels, scientists have seen effects on the immune system. Researcher Bo Reiman from the National Environmental Research Institute of Denmark points out that fish with a high fat/oil content like eel, salmon and mackerel will have the highest concentration of tin. Pregnant women in Scandinavia have long been warned not to eat oily fish daily.Contact person: Bo Reimann, National Environmental Research Institute of DenmarkTel: + 45 4630 1360
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- PepsiCo sets 2025 nutrition, sustainability goals
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- China "transition" drags on Danone Q3
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- CP Foods invests in UK foodservice firm Foodfellas
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image