USA: Florida launches obesity task force
Florida Governor Jeb Bush has appointed a task force to study how to bring down obesity levels in his state.
With 60% of Floridians overweight, and obesity rates in all age categories increasing, citizens of Florida are becoming as round as their famous oranges. Less than 26% of Florida adults eat the daily recommended five servings of fruits and vegetables, with around the same amount categorised as physically inactive.
The task force will pay particular attention to high-school age children, one quarter of whom are, or at risk of becoming, overweight. Their report will be out in February.
The food industry in the United States has been struggling with accusations that it is responsible for the country's "obesity epidemic" but companies are now developing strategies to deal with the pro...
As McDonald's and Wendy's introduce healthier options amid rising obesity levels and a general interest in healthier foods, some fastfood companies have been going in the opposite direction, introduci...
Artificial sweetener Splenda has enjoyed phenomenal success in recent years, and now has a 51% share of the US market. But now it has a fight on its hands, as sugar manufacturers file lawsuits claimin...
The UK food industry has announced its commitment to include on-pack Guideline Daily Amounts (GDAs) on up to eight nutrients, including calories, fat, saturated fat, carbohydrates, protein and sugars,...
Most adults blame the parents for America's child obesity problem, according to a report by market analysts Mintel....
The Australian government has launched an initiative to provide comprehensive national measures of what and how much Australian eat, and their levels of physical activity....
The USDA's Agricultural Research Service has unveiled Calorie-Trim, an all-natural, super-carb product he created to promote better consumer health....
Canadian health minister Ujjal Dosanjh and minister of state (public health) Dr Carolyn Bennett have recognized the need to take action to address the significant public health threat caused by obesi...
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- The benefits of engaging staff in sustainability
- How food companies involve staff in sustainability
- Why Danone is withdrawing Dumex from Vietnam
- Why May's Brexit comments give reason for optimism
- 2 Sisters chief Boparan buys Bernard Matthews
- Fonterra says value-added strategy paying off
- B&G Foods acquires ABF's US spice business
- General Mills profit falls as sales disappoint
- Bernard Matthews pensions scheme under review
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Global Food and Drinks Closures: Performance and Opportunities
- Fast Food Restaurants in the US - Industry Market Research Report