NZ/INDIA: Fonterra confirms Iffco dairy farm talks
Fonterra says no final deal has been signed
Fonterra, the world's largest dairy exporter, has confirmed that it is in talks with Indian co-op Iffco over the establishment of a dairy farm in the country.
Kelvin Wickham, MD of Fonterra Global Trade, said today (4 October) that the New Zealand dairy giant was "interested" in the Indian market and said negotiations were taking place.
"We are in exploratory talks with Iffco, a large Indian farmer co-operative, about potentially establishing a dairy farming operation in India," Wickham said.
Reports in India have claimed the two sides will set up a dairy with over 40,000 imported cows in Nellore in the state of Andhra Pradesh.
According to The Economic Times, the venture will sell milk under Iffco's Kisan brand name. The Indian newspaper said Iffco would take a 45% stake in the venture, Fonterra would hold 35% and Global Dairy Health India, a local entity, would hold the remainder.
However, Wickham added: "It is early days and we do not yet have any formal agreement."
Fonterra, the world's number on dairy exporter, has decided to open up its globalDairyTrade auction site to allow other processors to sell dairy products on the platform....
just-food's headlines were this week dominated by the Europe's largest retailers, with Carrefour, Tesco, Ahold and Delhaize all making key announcements. While Tesco welcomed a new chief executive, Fo...
Fonterra's chief executive Andrew Ferrier has signalled his intention to step down from the post in the second half of this year....
- Nestle India grows with global, digital innovation
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Thailand: convenience to continue to thrive
- How Nestle tackles Indian challenges - interview
- Focus: Thai demographics drive health categories
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Campbell backs US nutrition start-up Habit
- Mondelez focuses on margins as sales slip
- Nestle's Buitoni to remove GMOs
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Meat Processing in China - Industry Market Research Report