INDONESIA: Fonterra to open first Indonesian plant
Fonterra breaks ground in Indonesia
Fonterra has started building its first production plant in Indonesia today (26 March), a move the dairy group said will support the development of its Anlene, Anmum and Anchor Boneeto brands.
The IDR357bn (US$31.3m) facility is located in West Java and represents the largest investment Fonterra has made in the ASEAN region in ten years.
The facility is expected to begin operations in March next year. At full capacity, it will be able to pack and blend 12,000 tonnes of milk powder products annually. This represents around 87,000 packs of Anlene, Anmum and Anchor Boneeto daily.
Speaking at a ground breaking ceremony earlier today, Pascal De Petrini, MD of Fonterra Asia Pacific, Middle East & Africa, said the company expects demand for dairy in Indonesia to grow by 5% a year between now and 2020.
Consumption in the country stands at 11 liters of milk per capita. Fonterra said that is "well below" consumption levels in neighbouring countries. In Singapore, for instance, consumption stands at 51 liters per capita.
"This new blending and packing facility is the next step for our business in Indonesia, where we already have a strong and established presence. The investment will support the local expansion of Fonterra's consumer brands, and increase our on-ground capabilities which are critical to the long-term growth of our business," De Petrini explained.
How will the food industry fare in 2014? We asked food professionals their thoughts on issues including consumer confidence, M&A and NPD. Join just-food editor Dean Best, former IRI/PwC economist Rod Street and Palatine Private Equity's Charlotte Ashton in our annual bellwether webinar on Friday 28 March. Register here.
Fonterra is ranked in the top 21 among dairy players. However, this is due for the most part to its strong presence in Australasia. The company is looking to diversify, investing in a China-based dair...
"The Future of the Ice Cream Market in Mexico to 2017: Market Size, Distribution and Brand Share, Key Events and Competitive Landscape" is the result of Canadean’s extensive market and company researc...
"The Future of the Ice Cream Market in Austria to 2017: Market Size, Distribution and Brand Share, Key Events and Competitive Landscape" is the result of Canadean’s extensive market and company resear...
"The Future of the Ice Cream Market in Israel to 2017: Market Size, Distribution and Brand Share, Key Events and Competitive Landscape" is the result of Canadean’s extensive market and company researc...
- Who could swoop for Diamond Foods?
- Indonesia: the key macro issues facing FMCG firms
- Trans fat studies show complexity of health debate
- Indonesia - Sweet and sour of confectionery sector
- Why Quorn Foods auction promises to be competitive
- Quorn Foods agrees sale to Monde Nissin
- Danone, Kerry, Pulmuone also eyeing Quorn
- Mondelez 'preparing to sell European cheese unit'
- ConAgra Foods "efficiency" drive to hit 1,500 jobs
- Mars to buy Mexican chocolate maker Grupo Turin
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Danone SA : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis
- The Coca-Cola Company : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis
- E-Grocery Market in India - Market Research 2015-2019
- Global Bakery & Cereals Market: News and Events July 2015