EU: "Food browning" process linked to cancer risk - EFSA
EFSA links food browning process to cancer risk
The European Food Safety Authority has linked the presence of acrylamide -a chemical produced by the same process that browns food - to potentially increased cancer risks in consumers of all age groups.
The EFSA said: "Coffee, fried potato products, biscuits, crackers and crisp breads, soft bread and certain baby foods are important dietary sources of acrylamide."
The food safety body has opened a public consultation on its findings, which will run until 15 September. The deadline for EFSA to adopt a final opinion is June 2015.
"Once finalised, EFSA's scientific advice will support European and national decision-makers to consider possible measures to further reduce consumer exposure to this substance in food," the EFSA said.
The meal replacement category benefited from a combination of factors in 2013. In fact, the category profited from a fall in competition from slimming pills. The European Food Safety Agency (EFSA) rec...
The rejection of all pro/pre biotic health claims and the strict application of approved EFSA claims in France as from the end 2012 have negatively impacted the category in 2013. For years, industry p...
This report analyzes the worldwide markets for Prebiotics in both US$ Million and Metric Tons. The US market is further analyzed by the following Product Segments: Mannan-Oligosaccharide (MOS), Fructa...
This report analyzes the worldwide markets for Artificial Sweeteners in US$ Thousands by the following Major Product Classes: Aspartame, Acesulfame Potassium, Saccharin, Sucralose, and Others. The rep...
- Unilever must "speed" response to consumer trends
- What the analysts say: Unilever's mixed 2014
- Premier Foods CEO expects UK supermarket rebound
- Briefing: The risks and rewards of e-tail in China
- Why US diet guidelines should consider environment
- Unilever revenues disappoint as food sales fall
- Findus: "No sale process underway" in UK
- Lifeway Foods CEO denies sale talks
- Hovis CFO Michael Kennedy exits
- Weston Foods acquires Creative Occasions
- 10 Key Trends in Food, Health and Nutrition 2015
- The Sugar Backlash and its Effects on Global Consumer Markets
- The Future of Retailing in the UK to 2017
- Global Consumer Trend Framework: Understanding Attitudes and Behaviors that Influence Global Consumption Habits
- Meat Substitutes Market - Global Trends, Forecasts up to 2019