PHILIPPINES: Food fortification programme passes into law
Food staples such as rice, refined sugar, cooking oil and wheat flour are to undergo a "mandatory fortification" with iron and vitamin A under the Republic Act 8976 passed this weekend. Others will experience a "voluntary" fortification. The new law, introduced alongside campaigns by the National Food Fortification Program, aims to deal with a significant number of "public health problems," combating iodine and vitamin A deficiency and reducing cases of anaemia by 20%. According to recent surveys, the average diet in the Philippines is largely deficient in iron, vitamin A, thiamine, riboflavin, protein and iodine, and the new program is encouraging food producers to fortify products in order to compensate for the loss of nutrients and optimise the health of high-risk groups such as children.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- PepsiCo sets 2025 nutrition, sustainability goals
- China "transition" drags on Danone Q3
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- CP Foods invests in UK foodservice firm Foodfellas
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016