Food industry news of the week - Diamond Foods, Kraft Heinz plants review, WHO meat study
Kettle Chips maker Diamond Foods accepted offer from Snyder's-Lance
A takeover of Diamond Foods was announced this week - but Kellogg was not unveiled as the buyer of the Kettle Chips owner. Snyder's-Lance has struck a US$1.91bn cash-and-shares deal to buy its fellow US snacks group. Staying in the US, Kraft Heinz Co. has put three domestic plants under review, while the streamlining of General Mills' production network is now taking in plants in the UK and New Zealand. On our interview pages, we carried a two-parter with the CFO of vegetables giant Bonduelle.
Snyder's-Lance strikes deal to buy Kettle Chips owner Diamond Foods
Snyder's-Lance, the US snacks group, has swooped to strike an agreement to buy Kettle Chips maker Diamond Foods.
Kraft Heinz confirms three New York plants "under review"
Kraft Heinz Co. has confirmed three production sites in New York state are "under review" as reports speculate up to 950 jobs could go at the recently-created food giant.
General Mills now eyes plant closures in UK, NZ
General Mills has announced plans to shut more production facilities, with sites in the UK and New Zealand lined up for closure.
WHO meat study - the reaction
The World Health Organization's report on the possible links between colorectal cancer and processed and red meats sparked headlines around the world - and fierce debate between industry and health campaigners. just-food gives a flavour of the reaction.
Bonduelle ready for more M&A - the just-food interview, part two
In early 2012, Bonduelle struck three deals in eight weeks, acquiring businesses in Russia, Hungary and the US. Aside from snapping up a plant in Canada from local retailer Sobeys in 2014, the French vegetables giant has kept its powder dry, instead integrating the trio of assets it bought three years ago. In part two of the just-food interview, CFO Gregory Sanson says Bonduelle is ready for more deals, reflects on missing out on Green Giant and explains where the group is looking to pounce.
Kellogg opening Malaysia "snacks hub"
US snacks-to-cereal group Kellogg has invested US$130m to construct a manufacturing facility in Bandar Enstek, Malaysia, that will serve as a production hub for the group's snack brands in the Asia Pacific region.
Wilmar International, Saigon Co-op partner on Vietnam condiments JV
Wilmar International has teamed up with Vietnamese retailer Saigon Co-op to form a joint venture specialising in sauces and condiments.
Beingmate strikes JV with Maeil Dairies
Chinese infant formula maker Beingmate has announced it is entering into a joint venture with South Korea's Maeil Dairies.
Japanese, Middle Eastern investors focus on GCC food sector
The Gulf Japan Food Fund has been established by Japanese and Middle Eastern investors to increase cooperation in the food sector between Gulf Cooperation Council states and Japan.
S&A Foods brings in administrators after Asda contract loss
UK-based ethnic food manufacturer S&A Foods has appointed administrators for the business after losing a contract to supply Asda.
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Thailand: convenience to continue to thrive
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: Some Foods on rise of low-FODMAP market
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Unilever in continuing price spat with Musgrave
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- China milk powder arrests prompt Fonterra "review"
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review