UK: Food industry pledges to push fruit and veg
Industry to back fruit and veg
UK food retailers will add more lines to their produce sections and manufacturers will put more fruit and veg in ready meals, the country's government has announced.
The moves come as part of the industry's so-called "public health responsibility deal" with the Government to tackle obesity in the UK.
UK retailer The Co-operative Group, one of 16 companies to have signed up to the pledge, said it will use promotions to encourage consumers to eat more fruit and veg.
A spokesperson said: "We will target customers who aren't spending money on fruit and vegetables and offer them money-off coupons on fresh, frozen and canned fruit and vegetables to encourage purchase. This follows a recent trial, which resulted in a significant increase in redemption rates - 20% higher than for other, more typical money-off coupon campaigns, highlighting a real appetite among our customers for fruit and vegetables."
The Responsbility Deal was introduced in 2010 and has seen the UK government work with the food industry and other stakeholders to draw up policy to encourage consumers to exercise more and eat more healthily.
The policy is based on the concept of "nudging", where consumers are encouraged to live more healthily, and avoids introducing regulation to ban products or restrict consumer choice. Policy is developed by five networks that include representatives from the industry, the voluntary sector and the public health field.
The GM debate has re-emerged in the UK in the last couple of weeks with the news four major supermarket operators will allow their suppliers to use GM feed for poultry and eggs....
- Rabobank's early view on Brexit impact on food
- How local model protects Nestle - interview
- Brexit sparks uncertainty for UK food - comment
- Quorn Foods confident in prospects - interview
- How to win in Australian gluten-free cereal
- Nestle names new CEO
- Brexit – Live reaction from food industry
- Brexit – UK farmers warn of food price spike
- Brexit – US confirms commitment to TTIP with EU
- Healthier food a major opportunity for food makers
- Frozen Bakery Products Market by Type, Distribution Channel, & by Region - Global Trends & Forecast to 2020
- Top Trends in Snacks, Confectionery, and Desserts; Exploring consumer and innovation trends in key categories
- Singapore Food and Drink Report Q3 2016
- Fast Food in India
- Country Analysis Report: Saudi Arabia, In-depth PESTLE Insights