UK: Food industry regulators vow to enforce full weight of hygiene laws
The Food Standards Agency has revealed that it sent warning letters to almost a quarter of Scottish food shops and restaurants over the contravention of health and hygiene regulations.The report, presented to the Scottish Food Advisory Committee, revealed that during the course of 1999 the FSA had found it necessary to close down 73 premises where food was being served, and that 32 remain the subject of ongoing prosecution.Sir John Arbuthnott, chairman of the FSA, said that all retailers who ignored the regulations would suffer the legal consequences. Meanwhile the Scottish Food Advisory Committee responded by promising to increase consumer confidence by cracking down on those who broke hygiene regulations.This latest report comes in the wake of the FSA's vow to legally enforce the licensing scheme for butchers, which came into action following the deaths of 21 people in Wishaw from an E-coli 0157 outbreak in 1996.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- PepsiCo sets 2025 nutrition, sustainability goals
- China "transition" drags on Danone Q3
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- CP Foods invests in UK foodservice firm Foodfellas
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016