BELGIUM: Food industry signs RSPO palm oil pledge
All palm oil present in food products destined for the Belgian market has to be sustainable by 2015, according to a new industry pledge.
Belgian food and oil manufacturers have formed The Belgian Alliance for Sustainable Palm Oil and produced a charter to promote the use of certified sustainable palm oil in the country.
The charter to use only palm oil certified by the Roundtable on Sustainable Palm Oil was signed by trade bodies including potato industry association Belgapom and confectionery and biscuit association Choprabisco. Cargill and Fuji Oil also signed the charter.
According to the new charter, the palm oil being traded will confirm to one of the three RSPO-approved trading systems: segregation, mass balance or book & claim.
"Due to the great economic but also nutritional importance of this raw material, the alliance would like to collaborate with the local and international signers of the RSPO," the charter says. "This international round table gathers not only NGOs like World Wildlife Fund, Oxfam International, and several private organisations, but also the palm oil industry, the processors and the producers of foods, the distribution sector and the investors.
"Together they have determined the principles and conditions for the production of palm oil, while considering the population, the planet and the profit."
Click here to view the full charter.
Major food multinationals last week reported their first-half results. Unilever saw food volumes fall, PepsiCo insisted it had "momentum" in Europe, Hershey believed US candy had reached a new growth ...
Cargill, which recalled almost 30,000 pounds of ground beef in the US this weekend, has been linked to five cases of salmonella....
Cargill has recalled over 29,000 pounds of ground beef in the US over fears it would be contaminated with salmonella....
US agribusiness firm Cargill has signed a US$14.1m deal to buy a ground beef plant north of downtown Fort Worth from AFA Fo...
US agribusiness firm Cargill has supplied what it claims is the first-?ever sustainable verified rapeseed oil to consumer giant Unilever....
Australian food company Goodman Fielder is still looking to sell its fats and oils business despite Cargill withdrawing its bid for the unit....
- Rabobank's early view on Brexit impact on food
- How local model protects Nestle - interview
- Quorn Foods confident in prospects - interview
- Brexit sparks uncertainty for UK food - comment
- Nestle's focus on food for health - interview
- Nestle names new CEO
- Brexit – Live reaction from food industry
- Healthier food a major opportunity for food makers
- Brexit – UK farmers warn of food price spike
- Brexit – US confirms commitment to TTIP with EU
- Frozen Bakery Products Market by Type, Distribution Channel, & by Region - Global Trends & Forecast to 2020
- Top Trends in Snacks, Confectionery, and Desserts; Exploring consumer and innovation trends in key categories
- Fast Food in India
- Country Analysis Report: Saudi Arabia, In-depth PESTLE Insights
- Singapore Food and Drink Report Q3 2016