BELGIUM: Food industry signs RSPO palm oil pledge
All palm oil present in food products destined for the Belgian market has to be sustainable by 2015, according to a new industry pledge.
Belgian food and oil manufacturers have formed The Belgian Alliance for Sustainable Palm Oil and produced a charter to promote the use of certified sustainable palm oil in the country.
The charter to use only palm oil certified by the Roundtable on Sustainable Palm Oil was signed by trade bodies including potato industry association Belgapom and confectionery and biscuit association Choprabisco. Cargill and Fuji Oil also signed the charter.
According to the new charter, the palm oil being traded will confirm to one of the three RSPO-approved trading systems: segregation, mass balance or book & claim.
"Due to the great economic but also nutritional importance of this raw material, the alliance would like to collaborate with the local and international signers of the RSPO," the charter says. "This international round table gathers not only NGOs like World Wildlife Fund, Oxfam International, and several private organisations, but also the palm oil industry, the processors and the producers of foods, the distribution sector and the investors.
"Together they have determined the principles and conditions for the production of palm oil, while considering the population, the planet and the profit."
Click here to view the full charter.
Major food multinationals last week reported their first-half results. Unilever saw food volumes fall, PepsiCo insisted it had "momentum" in Europe, Hershey believed US candy had reached a new growth ...
Cargill, which recalled almost 30,000 pounds of ground beef in the US this weekend, has been linked to five cases of salmonella....
Cargill has recalled over 29,000 pounds of ground beef in the US over fears it would be contaminated with salmonella....
US agribusiness firm Cargill has signed a US$14.1m deal to buy a ground beef plant north of downtown Fort Worth from AFA Fo...
US agribusiness firm Cargill has supplied what it claims is the first-?ever sustainable verified rapeseed oil to consumer giant Unilever....
Australian food company Goodman Fielder is still looking to sell its fats and oils business despite Cargill withdrawing its bid for the unit....
- How brands are eyeing their own retail presence
- Why Lactalis could move for Dairy Crest
- Who could swoop for Diamond Foods?
- The consistent inconsistency of European promos
- Indonesia – How ice cream makers can drive volumes
- Nestle, R&R Ice Cream in joint venture talks
- How the food industry is reacting to TPP
- Mondelez 'preparing to sell European cheese unit'
- Unilever acquires Italian gelato group Grom
- China implements new safety regulations
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Global Savory Snacks Market: Merger and Acquisitions August 2015
- Danone SA : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis
- E-Grocery Market in India - Market Research 2015-2019
- Food and Beverage Coding and Marking Equipment: Market Outlook 2015-2019