UK: Food manufacturing industry on supermarkets' agreement to abide by code of practice
"Let's face it, the Code was never going to please everyone. We would have liked to see it tightened up - still feel it's a little woolly in places, even though we've had meetings with the OFT and responded to their consultations. However, we are pleased that some of our points have been taken on board:
· Trade Associations can complain on behalf of their members
· the Code will apply to all manufacturers - large or small (before there was a cut off point for those with a turnover greater than £450 million)
· The cost of mediation will be bourne by the retailers.
· Some of the terms are better defined (improved, not perfect): the role of the mediator is better explained and some attempt has been made to define 'reasonableness'.
We are disappointed that:
· the Code does not apply to all retailers and wholesalers. We would like to see a level playing field.
Overwhelmingly though our view is: this is it - now we've got to make it work."
Martin Paterson, Deputy Director General, Food and Drink Federation
Companies: Food and Drink Federation
Traffic lights, GDAs, signposting - whatever format it takes in the end, front-of-pack nutritional labelling is something the UK's Food Standards Agency is desperate to introduce in a bid to encourage...
The UK's Food and Drink Federation has welcomed the government's decision to accept advice from the Food Standards Agency (FSA) to replace the Over Thirty Months (OTM) rule with BSE testing....
The UK's Food Standards Agency has said that an effective system to test cattle aged over 30 months (OTM) for BSE before they enter the food chain has now been developed....
The UK government has published plans for the future of the sea fishing industry....
The number of the recorded number of food poisoning cases in the UK has fallen by almost 17,000 in the past four years from around 96,000 to 78,921, according to the Food and Drink Federation....
The Food and Drink Federation has today (Wednesday) appointed Melanie Leech as Director General. She will take up the post on 15 August 2005....
The Food Standards Agency has announced the setting up of an incidents task force to strengthen existing controls in the food chain in order to reduce the possibility of future contamination incidents...
UK food industry body the Food and Drink Federation today (Monday) launched a new information leaflet called 'A Guide to Nutrition Labels' and designed to help consumers better understand what's on an...
- Unilever 2016 investor day - the top takeaways
- The key questions for digital strategists in 2017
- Have food promotions reached tipping point?
- Mondelez goes beyond certified cocoa - analysis
- ABF on Brexit, M&A and grocery - interview
- Nestle unveils process to cut sugar by 40%
- Japan's Nagatanien buys Chaucer Food Group
- Unilever focuses on "value" of spreads arm
- B&G acquires pasta sauce group Victoria Fine Foods
- General Mills jobs to go in business revamp