SWEDEN: Food prices rose 0.4% in December, up 1.2% in year
Swedish food prices edged 0.4% higher in December from November last year, giving a year-on-year increase of 1.2%, according to Statistics Sweden. December food prices were in line with the overall inflation in the Swedish economy. According to the bureau's Consumer Price Index (CPI), inflation in December was 1.4%, down from 1.7% recorded in November.
Domestic meat prices were relatively steady in December, contrary to many other EU countries which have been plagued by the BSE crisis. Sweden has so far been spared any cases of BSE. Over the year, beef prices were up 1.6% in December after a monthly decline of 0.3%. Pork meat prices had risen 2.3% in year following a 1.3% rise in month.
Fresh fruit prices climbed 1.2% in the month to December and were unchanged over the year, while vegetable prices, meanwhile were up 2.9% in the year.
By Jerry Simonsson, just-food.com correspondent
The US Department of Agriculture says it has identified the source of the case of BSE confirmed recently....
US agriculture secretary Mike Johanns has announced that the US Department of Agriculture has received final test results from the Veterinary Laboratories Agency in Weybridge, England, confirming that...
Biotechnology company Vacci-Test Corporation has announced that a simple, reliable and economical diagnostic tool for the detection in live cattle of infectious brain diseases, including Bovine Spongi...
The US Department of Agriculture has said a suspected BSE sample has been sent to the UK for further testing after two separate tests gave different results....
The Ugandan government has banned the import of all dairy products to stop the possible entry of the disease BSE, according to the agency AFP....
Japan's independent Food Safety Commission has today (Friday) approved an easing of the blanket testing of all cows for BSE, paving the way for lifting an import ban on US beef, the Kyodo news agency ...
US meat company Tyson Foods Inc has reported lower income, despite higher sales, for the quarter and half year ended 2 April....
US meat company has filed a brief supporting the US Department of Agriculture's appeal against a recent court decision that has delayed the reopening of the US border to Canadian cattle imports....
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- Kraft Heinz: Innovation more important than ever
- Online snack seller Graze makes US retail debut
- Farmers' groups slam Danone over non-GMO stance
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review