UK: Food, soft drink exports rise amid EU market recovery
UK food and soft drink exports to the EU bounced back in 2013
UK exports of food and soft drinks rose 5% in 2013 as sales in the EU bounced back amid signs of economic recovery in the region.
Export sales reached GBP12.8bn (US$21.09bn) last year, a performance UK food manufacturers described as "welcome" after a flat 2012.
Sales made in the EU were up 3% to GBP9.5bn. Last year, sales to the bloc fell 1.4%.
This year, Ireland and France remain the UK’s two biggest food and drink export markets. Export sales to Ireland increased 7% to GBP3.21bn last year. Sales to France were up 10% at GBP1.47bn.
Outside the EU, sales jumped 11.5% to GBP3.3bn in 2013. In 2012, sales to these markets rose 4.6%.
China became the second-largest non-EU market for UK food and soft drink exports last year. The value of exports to the country leapt 82% to GBP201m amid higher sales of pork and salmon.
Steve Barnes, economic and services director of industry association of The Food and Drink Federation, which published the data, said: "Food and drink exports are back in growth, testament to the strong demand for quality British food and drink and the growing importance of export to our industry.
"The recovery of exports to key EU markets is particularly welcome news for food and drinks manufacturers as exports account for 75% of total export sales."
Sectors: Baby food, Bakery, Canned food, Cereal, Chilled foods, Commodities & ingredients, Condiments, dressings & sauces, Confectionery, Dairy, Dried foods, Emerging markets, Fresh produce, Frozen, Ice cream, Meat & poultry, Natural & organic, Private label, Retail, Seafood, Snacks, World foods
Companies: Food and Drink Federation
- Rabobank's early view on Brexit impact on food
- Kellogg uses Kashi to finally join party - comment
- New food waste standard will help monitor progress
- Tyrrells' growth plans - CEO interview, part two
- How could a TTIP affect the food industry?
- Brexit – Live reaction from food industry
- Kellogg to invest in "next-generation innovation"
- PepsiCo "engaging" with Indofood on child labour
- Post, ConAgra 'held talks' over Lamb Weston merger
- R&R Ice Cream names Daniel Martinez new CFO
- Top Trends in Snacks, Confectionery, and Desserts; Exploring consumer and innovation trends in key categories
- Frozen Bakery Products Market by Type, Distribution Channel, & by Region - Global Trends & Forecast to 2020
- Singapore Food and Drink Report Q3 2016
- Fast Food in India
- Country Analysis Report: Saudi Arabia, In-depth PESTLE Insights