EU: Food subsidy budget "facing deep cuts"
The Commission hit out at plans for extra cuts
The EU's annual EUR3.1bn budget for food production subsidies is facing deep cuts, officials within The European Commission has told just-food.
Heads of government will meet next week in Brussels to agree a spending deal for 2014-20 and officials warn new proposals from European Council president Herman van Rompuy demand additional de facto cuts of 10.8% in all Common Agricultural Policy spending – above an already planned 12% reduction.
One official highlighted fruit and vegetables’ EUR500 million subsidy budget as one of three areas "probably" facing especially "substantial cuts". Support for food production in remote areas and for wine are also be looked at.
Food production support is being targeted by governments wanting reduced EU spending to ease Europe's financial crisis.
A spokesperson for agriculture within The Commission said: "This would severely disrupt our system of direct payments, and devastate future rural development programmes. Every element of spending is facing cuts."
Other vulnerable fruit and vegetable programmes include annual EUR150m subsidies for producer groups and the EUR90m school fruit scheme. The EUR389m remote region budget covers EU-run territories in the Caribbean, South America and the Indian Ocean.
More products were found to contain horsemeat in France than any other EU country, according to results published by The European Commission today....
FrieslandCampina has requested the European Commission's approval to acquire Mywo Food Group-owned cheese specialist Zijerveld & Veldhuyzen and its packaging unit Den Hollander Food....
- Premier Foods CEO expects UK supermarket rebound
- Briefing: The risks and rewards of e-tail in China
- Unilever must "speed" response to consumer trends
- Why Post is increasing its exposure to cereal
- Why US diet guidelines should consider environment
- Post Holdings strikes deal to acquire MOM Brands
- Food industry news of week: Unilever, PepsiCo
- Chobani launches Tots infant range
- Premier Foods hails "improving" sales trends
- Crisp maker Sibell acquires Spain's Celigueta
- 10 Key Trends in Food, Health and Nutrition 2015
- The Sugar Backlash and its Effects on Global Consumer Markets
- The Future of Retailing in the UK to 2017
- Global Consumer Trend Framework: Understanding Attitudes and Behaviors that Influence Global Consumption Habits
- Unilever - Strategy and SWOT Report