EU: Food with artificial colouring to carry warning
Food and drinks containing certain artificial colourings will have to carry warnings, under a proposed EU deal.
The six colourings, tartrazine (E102), quinoline yellow (E104), sunset yellow (E110), carmoisine (E122), ponceau 4R (E124) and allura red (E129), may be linked to hyperactive behaviour in children and already have to be listed on products.
The Food Standards Agency's (FSA), which is calling for a voluntary ban on their use in food products, told just-food: "There is a proposal currently going through the European Union but this has to be voted on by the Committee and nothing has been decided on yet."
The requirement would apply to imports as well as those made in the EU.
Products containing the colourings are expected to disappear from shops over the next year and the likes of Cadbury Trebor Basset, Nestlé UK and Unilever have already said they either don't use them or will have removed them by the end of the year, before the UK's voluntary ban in 2009.
The results season continued this week with US dairy giant Dean Foods, French food group Danone and PepsiCo all issuing their full-year numbers. Away from the balance sheets, UK food regulators urged ...
UK consumers should not be "frightened off" certain foods as the country's food watchdog looks to raise awareness of saturated fat, a leading dairy group said today (10 February)....
Eating leaner meat, cutting down on cakes and biscuits and opting for stronger varieties of cheese should slash the levels of saturated fat consumed in the UK, the country's food watchdog said today (...
The UK's Food Standards Agency has revealed that there was a four-week delay between the collection of milk samples that were found to be tainted with cancer-causing dioxins and their containment....
Milk produced at two dairy farms in Northern Ireland has been blocked from entering the food chain, after tests found cancer-causing dioxin levels above legal limits, the UK's Food Standards Agency sa...
Cadbury today (5 February) lost its latest court bid in Australia to stop rival confectioner Darrell Lea using the colour purple....
The UK's Food Standards Agency has thrown its weight behind a voluntary ban on six food colours associated with hyperactivity in children, publishing a list of product ranges from manufacturers, resta...
UK confectioner Cadbury will launch Bassetts Red Liquorice Allsorts this month, the company revealed today (2 February)....
- The key questions for digital strategists in 2017
- Unilever 2016 investor day - the top takeaways
- Wessanen's move for Spain's Biogran - analysis
- Whole Foods, Aldi, M&S - retail round-up, Nov 2016
- Burger King, Jollibee: foodservice focus, Nov 2016
- General Mills jobs to go in business revamp
- Verlinvest, China Resources invest in Oatly
- B&G acquires pasta sauce group Victoria Fine Foods
- Hain Celestial appoints Nestle executive as US COO
- Tyson sets up US$150m investment fund
- Confectionery North America (NAFTA) Industry Guide_2016
- How Brands Are Making Our Food Healthier
- Processed Snacks (Savory Snacks) Market in the United States - Outlook to 2020: Market Size, Growth and Forecast Analytics
- Global Dried Processed Food Market 2016-2020
- Frozen Food Production in the US - Industry Market Research Report