USA: foodline.com hits the rocks
Paul Lightfoot always said he had "an appetite for risk," and he just found out that taking risks doesn't always pay. In 1998 Lightfoot quit the legal profession to found New York online restaurant reservation system www.foodline.com . The initial US$250,000 he and his business partner, chef Robert Thomas, raised from family and friends, was ramped up with US$13m funding from various trade partners and venture capitalists. But it seems that even this level of backing wasn't sufficient to keep foodline.com on its feet after the anticipated growth in demand failed to materialise.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- General Mills sales woes continue - analysis
- Why personalisation will take-off in US food
- Comment: Meal kits in US - don't believe the hype
- US food next wave on display at Winter Fancy Food
- Column: Kraft Heinz, Unilever and sustainability
- Unilever 'lining up spreads sale'
- UK own-label firm Park Cakes sold in MBO
- Kraft Heinz cuts jobs in US, Canada
- Immigration crackdown "risk" for US dairy industry
- BRF plant suspended amid bribery allegations