EUROPE: France upset at subsidy cuts for poultry exports
France has criticised the European Commission's decision to cut subsidies for exports of poultry meat beyond European Union borders.
France's agriculture ministry has criticised a decision by the Commission to cut export subsidies from EUR217 (US$289) per tonne to EUR108.5m. It said the Commission told the ministry of the decision on 17 January.
A day later, French agriculture officials called a crisis meeting with poultry industry leaders.
Since last summer, the French government and industry have lobbied for a more gradual reduction in export subsidies; something the agriculture ministry believes has at least delayed the Commission's decision.
However, the ministry said it continues to "contest the Commission's economic rationale" for the subsidy cut. "Ministers will continue fighting to avoid any new cuts," it added.
The ministry has also promised short-term financial aid for the poultry sector, alongside longer-term funding for research and development.
The European Parliament has endorsed a final deal agreed with EU member states on regulations on the composition of infant formula, baby food, diet replacements and special medical foods....
Dutch snacks firm Ad van Geloven is set for a new majority shareholder after The European Commission cleared a move from private-equity firm Avedon Capital Partners to buy a controlling stake in the f...
- Rabobank's early view on Brexit impact on food
- How local model protects Nestle - interview
- Brexit sparks uncertainty for UK food - comment
- Quorn Foods confident in prospects - interview
- Kellogg uses Kashi to finally join party - comment
- Nestle names new CEO
- Brexit – Live reaction from food industry
- Brexit – UK farmers warn of food price spike
- Brexit – US confirms commitment to TTIP with EU
- Brexit – How France's food market will be hit
- Frozen Bakery Products Market by Type, Distribution Channel, & by Region - Global Trends & Forecast to 2020
- Top Trends in Snacks, Confectionery, and Desserts; Exploring consumer and innovation trends in key categories
- Singapore Food and Drink Report Q3 2016
- Fast Food in India
- Country Analysis Report: Saudi Arabia, In-depth PESTLE Insights