HORSEMEAT: French firm Spanghero partially resumes operations
Spanghero, the French firm at the centre of the horsemeat scandal, has been given the go-ahead to partially resume its business activities.
French authorities last week suspended Spanghero's health and safety licence following government claims of suspicions the firm had labelled beef that was potentially horse. Spanghero denies any wrong-doing.
As veterinary inspections continued at the firm today, the Ministry of Agriculture announced Spanghero could resume production of minced meat, sausage meat and ready meals. However, its storage activities for frozen raw meat remain suspended.
At this stage, over 80% of the meat in storage has been verified and work continues on the remaining stocks, the Ministry said. Only one batch of frozen meat is the subject of further testing.
The veterinary inspections have confirmed earlier findings that health certification labels on meat consignments had been modified.
The complete findings of the veterinary inspections will be known on Friday.
- Comment: Nestle reacts to world of 3G and Buffett
- Why it is too early to call Unilever food revival
- France takes big step to uniform FOP labels
- What the analysts say: The verdict on Danone's Q1
- How will Flowers Foods grow in speciality bread?
- Unilever food, refreshment sales rise
- Fonterra says rain needed to maintain milk supply
- Organic food sales in US up 11% in 2014
- UPDATE: Danone CEO upbeat on 2015 growth
- Nestle in "exclusive" Davigel talks with Brakes