US: Fresh Del Monte Produce settles discrimination lawsuit
Fresh Del Monte settled lawsuit alleging labour contractor had discriminated against workers
Fresh Del Monte Produce has agreed to settle a lawsuit accusing the US company of discrimination against Thai workers working for it in Hawaii.
According to the US Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, Global Horizons, a labour contractor for Fresh Del Monte, "engaged in conduct that constituted national origin and race discrimination, harassment and retaliation" in their treatment of farm workers. The EEOC said the charges related to a three-year period from 2003-2006.
Fresh Del Monte has agreed to pay US$1.2m, to be distributed to the Thai claimants. The company has also agreed to adopt "comprehensive protocols and accountability measures" to ensure all farm labour is employed in compliance with federal regulations, the EEOC said.
The agency commended Fresh Del Monte's stance and insisted that the group has set an example for equality standards to the US agricultural industry.
"We are hopeful that this resolution will provide a model for the agricultural industry to ensure that farm contractors comply with anti-discrimination laws," said EEOC general counsel David Lopez.
- What US companies might Nomad Foods buy?
- Challenges for General Mills with The Good Table
- Why investors are concerned about water risk
- Greek crisis - The impact on shopper behaviour
- Competition intensifies among UK burger chains
- B&G Foods "front-runner for Green Giant"
- FrieslandCampina H1 earnings up despite flat sales
- Mitsubishi buys stake in Olam International
- Brownes Dairy "attracts eight suitors"
- Mengniu sales dip but work on costs boosts profits
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Food Flavourings & Colourings (UK) - Industry Report
- Bakery Market in Japan: Forecast, and Market Analysis 2015-2019
- Probiotic Ingredients Market by Function, Application, End Use, Ingredient, and by Region - Global Trends & Forecast to 2020
- Nestle USA, Inc.: Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis