US: Fresh Del Monte Produce settles discrimination lawsuit
Fresh Del Monte settled lawsuit alleging labour contractor had discriminated against workers
Fresh Del Monte Produce has agreed to settle a lawsuit accusing the US company of discrimination against Thai workers working for it in Hawaii.
According to the US Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, Global Horizons, a labour contractor for Fresh Del Monte, "engaged in conduct that constituted national origin and race discrimination, harassment and retaliation" in their treatment of farm workers. The EEOC said the charges related to a three-year period from 2003-2006.
Fresh Del Monte has agreed to pay US$1.2m, to be distributed to the Thai claimants. The company has also agreed to adopt "comprehensive protocols and accountability measures" to ensure all farm labour is employed in compliance with federal regulations, the EEOC said.
The agency commended Fresh Del Monte's stance and insisted that the group has set an example for equality standards to the US agricultural industry.
"We are hopeful that this resolution will provide a model for the agricultural industry to ensure that farm contractors comply with anti-discrimination laws," said EEOC general counsel David Lopez.
- USDA's GMO move may block mandatory labels
- Premier Foods to push on with range revamp
- Why FMCG background key for next Thorntons CEO
- just-food's pick: Products on show at SIAL China
- Focus: Why Dairy Crest needs to offload dairies
- Unilever CFO Jean-Marc Huet stands down
- Kerry adds to Mattessons' adult snacking range
- Premier Foods sees FY profits fall
- Mars launches "healthy" snacks Goodnessknows
- Mondelez to cut jobs at Chicago site
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Pizza Delivery & Takeaway in the UK - Industry Market Research Report
- Mars Inc in Packaged Food (World)
- Chocolate Flavors Market by Application & Region - Global Trends & Forecast to 2019
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Chocolate and Confectionery Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details