US: Fresh Del Monte Produce settles discrimination lawsuit
Fresh Del Monte settled lawsuit alleging labour contractor had discriminated against workers
Fresh Del Monte Produce has agreed to settle a lawsuit accusing the US company of discrimination against Thai workers working for it in Hawaii.
According to the US Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, Global Horizons, a labour contractor for Fresh Del Monte, "engaged in conduct that constituted national origin and race discrimination, harassment and retaliation" in their treatment of farm workers. The EEOC said the charges related to a three-year period from 2003-2006.
Fresh Del Monte has agreed to pay US$1.2m, to be distributed to the Thai claimants. The company has also agreed to adopt "comprehensive protocols and accountability measures" to ensure all farm labour is employed in compliance with federal regulations, the EEOC said.
The agency commended Fresh Del Monte's stance and insisted that the group has set an example for equality standards to the US agricultural industry.
"We are hopeful that this resolution will provide a model for the agricultural industry to ensure that farm contractors comply with anti-discrimination laws," said EEOC general counsel David Lopez.
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Abbott sees international nutrition sales fall
- Metropoulos invests in Utz Quality Foods
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review