CANADA: Fresh Del Monte Produce to open first Canada facility
The plant will serve the Ontario and Quebec regions
Fresh Del Monte Produce is expanding in Canada with the opening of its first fresh-cut processing facility in the country.
The 108,000 sq ft Oshawa-based plant will serve Ontario and Quebec, a spokesperson for Fresh Del Monte told just-food today (7 August). Operations are expected to commence in the fourth quarter of 2013.
The plant will accommodate 16 trucks simultaneously and also serve as a forward distribution centre for fresh produce.
"This facility will be the home of one of our most sophisticated fresh cut fruit and vegetable processing plants in our system and is designed to service all channels including conventional and non-conventional retailers, super centers, military, convenience stores, food service, and many other outlets," the spokesperson said.
"We will also be utilizing the facility as a banana ripening center as well as a forward distribution center for a variety of our fresh products."
- Analysis: Is Heinz, Kraft merger "a growth story"?
- M&A Watch: Who could be on 3G Capital's radar?
- The challenges awaiting ConAgra's new CEO
- Focus: Can Mars gain share in Indian chocolate?
- Viewpoint: Faber-led Danone gets realistic
- UPDATE: Heinz, Kraft strike merger agreement
- Fatal explosion at French desserts firm Senagral
- Kraft "in buyout talks" with Heinz owner 3G
- Infographic: Heinz, Kraft unveil combined business
- Buffett: Kraft Heinz to withstand health focus