US: Fresh Del Monte profits slip on banana prices
Excess supply and lower demand has hit banana prices in Europe
Fresh Del Monte Produce saw its first-quarter profits drop by more than a third on the back of an over-supply of bananas in Europe.
The US produce giant said yesterday (30 April) its net income fell 34.2% to US$41.1m in the three months to 29 March. Operating income slid 18.3% to $53.5m.
Fresh Del Monte's sales increased 2.3% to $918.8m but lower banana prices in Europe amid excess supply and a fall in consumer demand hit earnings.
"Our team did an exceptional job spurring growth and amassing greater market share led by gains in our fresh-cut business. However, these operational achievements and stronger net sales were countered by ongoing challenges in Europe, which negatively affected our profitability," chairman and CEO Mohammad Abu-Ghazaleh said.
Shares in Fresh Del Monte closed down 7.9% at $25.41 in New York.
Click here for the full release from Fresh Del Monte.
The report presents detailed data on consumption trends in the Artisanal Ice Cream category in United States, analyzing consumption volumes and values. It also provides indispensable data on distribut...
The report presents detailed data on consumption trends in the Impulse Ice Cream category in United States, analyzing consumption volumes and values at segment level. It also provides indispensable da...
- BRICs: The thinking behind Mondelez's Vietnam deal
- Interview part 1: BRF CFO Augusto Ribeiro
- Prospects for protein: Snacks growth to continue
- Comment: Why Gardein is Pinnacle's ideal fodder
- Deal or no deal: Should Danone buy Mead Johnson?
- 2 Sisters Food Group posts higher annual losses
- Kellogg trumps Abraaj bid for Bisco Misr
- Live blog: Food Matters Live
- Raisio buys UK, Ireland and Belgium Benecol ops
- Lactalis submits takeover bid for Arab Dairy
- Early Signals: future scenarios that will drive consumption and product innovation over the next five years
- Energy Bars Market in Canada: Market Profile to 2017
- The Snackification of Breakfast
- Dairy Product Production in China
- PepsiCo, Inc. : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Report