US: Fresh & Easy reins in expansion plans
"There is no doubt that the economy in the US is in a very different place to where it was when we entered the market," a spokesperson for Fresh & Easy's parent Tesco told just-food today (12 November).
"We had always planned to accelerate our expansion in the second half of this financial year but in the current climate it is sensible to respond to the conditions we see now and so we have decided to continue opening stores at about the same rate as we have been over the last year."
Specifically, Fresh & Easy has indicated that plans to expand into northern California could be delayed. Currently, Fresh & Easy is ramping-up its operations in southern California, Arizona and Nevada.
Despite the decision not to escalate growth, the company was quick to emphasise that expansion in the US is continuing apace.
"We will open new stores every week, creating new jobs and attracting many more customers to Fresh & Easy," the spokesperson said.
This week, the retail spotlight shines once again on the Catalan city of Barcelona, as the sector's top executives flock to the annual World Retail Congress....
UK retail giant Tesco booked a healthy set of results this week, despite facing fierce competition from rivals in recent months and experiencing a slowdown in international expansion. With such a stro...
Tesco's move to reopen 11 of its stores in the Republic of Ireland and slash prices by as much as 25% this week has drawn heavy criticism from manufacturers and farmers....
UK retail giant Tesco is spending GBP150m (US$225.5m) on a relaunch of its Clubcard loyalty scheme....
The results of independent research commissioned by the UK's Food Standards Agency (FSA) into front-of-pack (FOP) nutritional labelling has suggested a hybrid system, combining 'traffic light' colours...
Domestic and multinational food retailers doing business in India need to be aware of competition from the country's traditional, "mom-and-pop" traders, a leading homegrown retailer said today (6 May)...
Tesco reopened 11 of its stores in the Republic of Ireland and slashed prices by as much as 25% yesterday (5 May) in response to the challenge of cross border shopping in Northern Ireland....
Staff at a Tesco store in Cork, Ireland have agreed to suspend industrial strike action pending talks with the Labour Relations Committee (LRC) later today (30 April)....
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- PepsiCo sets 2025 nutrition, sustainability goals
- China "transition" drags on Danone Q3
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- CP Foods invests in UK foodservice firm Foodfellas
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016