NETHERLANDS: FrieslandCampina awaits EU approval for cheese buys
"The acquisition will help FrieslandCampina to offer customers a more comprehensive cheese portfolio and package of services," a company spokesperson told just-food.
FrieslandCampina wants to strengthen its European position in the retail channel, as well as in wholesale and in export markets and Zijerveld is "active in these segments", the spokesperson said.
He added the company is determined to "keep its identity" while maintaining customer focus and short lines to key Dutch markets.
Pending approval, the deal will be finalised in the first quarter, the spokesperson said. He argued the deal would not create competition problems that might cause the Commission to oppose the deal.
In a note, the Commission stressed how Den Hollander Food also offers consultancy on cheese retail, storing and maturing, and tailor-made packaging services.
Indicating potential support for the deal, which it is regulating because the expanded company would sell across Europe, the Commission noted the acquisition would "expand the range of products and services offered [by FrieslandCampina], while creating efficiency improvements."
Food waste is again a hot topic in the food sector with the launch last month of FoodDrinkEurope's multi-stakeholder programme, Every Crumb Counts. Ben Cooper spoke with Tove Larsson, director of envi...
- Why Lactalis could move for Dairy Crest
- Who could swoop for Diamond Foods?
- How brands are eyeing their own retail presence
- Indonesia – How ice cream makers can drive volumes
- The consistent inconsistency of European promos
- Mondelez 'preparing to sell European cheese unit'
- Nestle, R&R Ice Cream in joint venture talks
- Unilever acquires Italian gelato group Grom
- China implements new safety regulations
- How the food industry is reacting to TPP
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Danone SA : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis
- Global Savory Snacks Market: Merger and Acquisitions August 2015
- E-Grocery Market in India - Market Research 2015-2019
- Food and Beverage Coding and Marking Equipment: Market Outlook 2015-2019