NETHERLANDS: FrieslandCampina awaits EU approval for cheese buys
FrieslandCampina has requested the European Commission's approval to acquire Mywo Food Group-owned cheese specialist Zijerveld & Veldhuyzen and its packaging unit Den Hollander Food.
"The acquisition will help FrieslandCampina to offer customers a more comprehensive cheese portfolio and package of services," a company spokesperson told just-food.
FrieslandCampina wants to strengthen its European position in the retail channel, as well as in wholesale and in export markets and Zijerveld is "active in these segments", the spokesperson said.
He added the company is determined to "keep its identity" while maintaining customer focus and short lines to key Dutch markets.
Pending approval, the deal will be finalised in the first quarter, the spokesperson said. He argued the deal would not create competition problems that might cause the Commission to oppose the deal.
In a note, the Commission stressed how Den Hollander Food also offers consultancy on cheese retail, storing and maturing, and tailor-made packaging services.
Indicating potential support for the deal, which it is regulating because the expanded company would sell across Europe, the Commission noted the acquisition would "expand the range of products and services offered [by FrieslandCampina], while creating efficiency improvements."
Food waste is again a hot topic in the food sector with the launch last month of FoodDrinkEurope's multi-stakeholder programme, Every Crumb Counts. Ben Cooper spoke with Tove Larsson, director of envi...
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- The benefits of engaging staff in sustainability
- How food companies involve staff in sustainability
- Why Danone is withdrawing Dumex from Vietnam
- How PepsiCo is taking action on palm oil
- 2 Sisters chief Boparan buys Bernard Matthews
- Fonterra says value-added strategy paying off
- B&G Foods acquires ABF's US spice business
- General Mills profit falls as sales disappoint
- MP calls for probe into Bernard Matthews "sale"
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Global Food and Drinks Closures: Performance and Opportunities
- Fast Food Restaurants in the US - Industry Market Research Report