NETHERLANDS: FrieslandCampina awaits EU approval for cheese buys
"The acquisition will help FrieslandCampina to offer customers a more comprehensive cheese portfolio and package of services," a company spokesperson told just-food.
FrieslandCampina wants to strengthen its European position in the retail channel, as well as in wholesale and in export markets and Zijerveld is "active in these segments", the spokesperson said.
He added the company is determined to "keep its identity" while maintaining customer focus and short lines to key Dutch markets.
Pending approval, the deal will be finalised in the first quarter, the spokesperson said. He argued the deal would not create competition problems that might cause the Commission to oppose the deal.
In a note, the Commission stressed how Den Hollander Food also offers consultancy on cheese retail, storing and maturing, and tailor-made packaging services.
Indicating potential support for the deal, which it is regulating because the expanded company would sell across Europe, the Commission noted the acquisition would "expand the range of products and services offered [by FrieslandCampina], while creating efficiency improvements."
Food waste is again a hot topic in the food sector with the launch last month of FoodDrinkEurope's multi-stakeholder programme, Every Crumb Counts. Ben Cooper spoke with Tove Larsson, director of envi...
- Challenges for General Mills with The Good Table
- Greek crisis - The impact on shopper behaviour
- What US companies might Nomad Foods buy?
- Why investors are concerned about water risk
- Competition intensifies among UK burger chains
- Mitsubishi buys stake in Olam International
- B&G Foods "front-runner for Green Giant"
- FrieslandCampina H1 earnings up despite flat sales
- Arla strikes JVs in Nigeria and Senegal
- Mengniu sales dip but work on costs boosts profits
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Food Flavourings & Colourings (UK) - Industry Report
- Biscuit Manufacturers (UK) - Industry Report
- Bakery Market in Japan: Forecast, and Market Analysis 2015-2019
- Probiotic Ingredients Market by Function, Application, End Use, Ingredient, and by Region - Global Trends & Forecast to 2020