NETHERLANDS: FrieslandCampina awaits EU approval for cheese buys
FrieslandCampina has requested the European Commission's approval to acquire Mywo Food Group-owned cheese specialist Zijerveld & Veldhuyzen and its packaging unit Den Hollander Food.
"The acquisition will help FrieslandCampina to offer customers a more comprehensive cheese portfolio and package of services," a company spokesperson told just-food.
FrieslandCampina wants to strengthen its European position in the retail channel, as well as in wholesale and in export markets and Zijerveld is "active in these segments", the spokesperson said.
He added the company is determined to "keep its identity" while maintaining customer focus and short lines to key Dutch markets.
Pending approval, the deal will be finalised in the first quarter, the spokesperson said. He argued the deal would not create competition problems that might cause the Commission to oppose the deal.
In a note, the Commission stressed how Den Hollander Food also offers consultancy on cheese retail, storing and maturing, and tailor-made packaging services.
Indicating potential support for the deal, which it is regulating because the expanded company would sell across Europe, the Commission noted the acquisition would "expand the range of products and services offered [by FrieslandCampina], while creating efficiency improvements."
Food waste is again a hot topic in the food sector with the launch last month of FoodDrinkEurope's multi-stakeholder programme, Every Crumb Counts. Ben Cooper spoke with Tove Larsson, director of envi...
- Rabobank's early view on Brexit impact on food
- How local model protects Nestle - interview
- Quorn Foods confident in prospects - interview
- Brexit sparks uncertainty for UK food - comment
- Nestle's focus on food for health - interview
- Nestle names new CEO
- Brexit – Live reaction from food industry
- Healthier food a major opportunity for food makers
- Brexit – UK farmers warn of food price spike
- Brexit – US confirms commitment to TTIP with EU
- Frozen Bakery Products Market by Type, Distribution Channel, & by Region - Global Trends & Forecast to 2020
- Top Trends in Snacks, Confectionery, and Desserts; Exploring consumer and innovation trends in key categories
- Fast Food in India
- Country Analysis Report: Saudi Arabia, In-depth PESTLE Insights
- Baby Nutrition Insights - Issue 27