NETHERLANDS: FrieslandCampina posts higher underlying profits
Underlying profits were up in 2013, FrieslandCampina said
Dairy giant FrieslandCampina has reported a jump in annual underlying profits.
The Dutch group saw net profit fall 43.5% on a reported basis to EUR157m (US$218m) in 2013. The Yazoo milkshake owner booked goodwill impairment charges linked to its business in Europe, due to what it called the "persisting crisis" in the region.
Operating profit was down 35.7% at EUR313m.
However, without the impairment charges, net profit increased 17.6% to EUR327m. Operating profit rose 5.3% to EUR513m.
The dairy co-op said revenues were up 10.8% in 2013 at EUR11.4bn.
The group noted improved results from its consumer business in Asia, its ingredients and cheese division and its butter and milkpowder business unit.
However, FrieslandCampina highlighted the economic conditions in Europe put a strain on volumes and margins for its consumer arm in Europe, the Middle East and Africa.
CEO Cees 't Hart said: "2013 was a good year for FrieslandCampina. The improved result was due primarily to volume growth in the three strategic growth categories [of] infant nutrition, dairy-based beverages and branded cheese, the passing on of the higher guaranteed price, far-reaching efficiency improvements in production, and cost control in the European operating companies."
However, FrieslandCampina noted the rises in commodity costs in 2013. It added the "persistently high price level" during the year "took producers and customers around the world by surprise".
The company said it was "remaining cautious" about 2014 and provided no financial forecasts based on recent trading conditions.
Click here for the report.
Royal FrieslandCampina N.V. - Strategy and SWOT Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, product and serv...
Synopsis Canadean's "Koninklijke FrieslandCampina N.V.: Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile & SWOT Report" contains in depth information and data about the company and its operations. The profil...
Following the growth seen by dairy in Romania over the review period, despite the poor economic climate in the country, FrieslandCampina Romania is focused on improving its manufacturing, distribution...
FrieslandCampina generates most of its sales in the dairy category. The company has been expanding in emerging markets, most recently with the acquisition of Alaska Milk Corp in the Philippines. The c...
- Premier Foods CEO expects UK supermarket rebound
- Unilever must "speed" response to consumer trends
- Briefing: The risks and rewards of e-tail in China
- Why US diet guidelines should consider environment
- Emerging markets online: India's food retail scene
- Post Holdings strikes deal to acquire MOM Brands
- Food industry news of week: Unilever, PepsiCo
- Tootsie Roll CEO Melvin Gordon dies at 95
- Chobani launches Tots infant range
- Monde Nissin "to acquire Menora"
- 10 Key Trends in Food, Health and Nutrition 2015
- The Sugar Backlash and its Effects on Global Consumer Markets
- The Future of Retailing in the UK to 2017
- Global Consumer Trend Framework: Understanding Attitudes and Behaviors that Influence Global Consumption Habits
- Meat Substitutes Market - Global Trends, Forecasts up to 2019