NETHERLANDS: FrieslandCampina profits drop 24%
Profits slide despite sales gain at FrieslandCampina
Dutch dairy group FrieslandCampina has revealed that its 2011 profits dropped by almost one-quarter, as poor consumer sentiment in Europe hit branded sales and inhibited the firm's ability to pass increased costs on to consumers.
In its annual report, released today (14 March), FrieslandCampina said that profit dropped 24% in the 12 months to end-December, declining to EUR216m (US$282m).
Net revenue rose 7% to EUR9.6bn during the period. However, profitability was hit by investments made in the group's infrastructure, poor economic conditions in Europe and the negative impact of currency exchange, the dairy firm revealed.
"The negative economic sentiment led to a shift to cheaper products, at the cost of the position of branded articles," the company said. "Declining consumer confidence and economic/political developments in a number of countries led to pressure on margin development and sales of branded cheese."
In particular, difficult market conditions meant the company's cheese butter and milk powder business, which accounts for 26.6% of sales, witnessed an increased loss in the year, which climbed to EUR97m from EUR92m in 2010.
During 2011, FrieslandCampina established global category teams to develop its infant nutrition, branded cheese and dairy-based beverages businesses. These categories have been identified as "value drivers" and the company indicated that it is accelerating growth in these areas over the next 12-months.
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- Interview: Mondelez's outlook for China
- General Mills on Q1, innovation, margins
- How food companies involve staff in sustainability
- The benefits of engaging staff in sustainability
- Ireland unveils national plan to tackle obesity
- Aryzta FY profits fall
- Nestle close to finalising Garoto deal
- ConAgra acquires Frontera Foods' "gourmet" brands
- Aryzta appoints Gary McGann as chairman
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Food and Drinks Closures: Performance and Opportunities