NETHERLANDS: FrieslandCampina to buy Balkans dairies Imlek, Mlekara Subotica
FrieslandCampina said the acquisitions are part of its 'route2020' strategy
Dairy giant FrieslandCampina has signed a deal to buy Balkans processors Imlek and Mlekara Subotica.
FrieslandCampina said today (2 February) it would buy 79% of Imlek and 82% of Mlekara Subotica from private-equity firm Salford Capital Partners. Financial details of the transactions were not disclosed.
Together, Imlek and Mlekara Subotica generate annual turnover of around EUR270m (US$354.2m).
FrieslandCampina said Imlek's "strong position" in the Serbian retail market will provide it with "an attractive entry point" into the western Balkans and neighbouring markets. Its brand portfolio includes ready to drink milk, yoghurt, cheese and cream products.
Mlekara Subotica's brand portfolio comprises mainly of added-value spreads and cheese products, which account for more than half of its revenues.
FrieslandCampina said the acquisitions are part of its 'route2020' strategy to "increase its global position in dairy-based beverages, infant nutrition and branded cheese". The company said it intends to acquire the remaining shares in both companies.
"FrieslandCampina wants to grow in various markets and product categories," said CEO Cees 't Hart. "This acquisition strengthens our brand portfolio and our position in south-eastern Europe, one of the spearheads of our route2020 strategy."
Together, the Serbia-based firms employ around 1,470 staff across six production plants and four head offices in Serbia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, and the Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia.
The deal is the first major acquisition for the firm since the merger between Friesland Foods and Campina in 2008. The merger created a EUR9.1bn dairy giant.
The purchase of Imlek and Mlekara Subotica is expected to close in the next few months and is subject to certain regulatory approvals.
The UK dairy sector was in the spotlight this week, with the proposed merger between Arla Foods and local co-op Milk Link and the annual loss reported by Dairy Crest. just-food interviewed senior exec...
- What US companies might Nomad Foods buy?
- Challenges for General Mills with The Good Table
- Why investors are concerned about water risk
- Competition intensifies among UK burger chains
- Greek crisis - The impact on shopper behaviour
- Just Mayo under fire from US FDA after complaint
- B&G Foods "front-runner for Green Giant"
- FrieslandCampina H1 earnings up despite flat sales
- Brownes Dairy "attracts eight suitors"
- General Mills to work on artificial ingredients
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Food Flavourings & Colourings (UK) - Industry Report
- Nestle USA, Inc.: Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis
- Bakery Market in Japan: Forecast, and Market Analysis 2015-2019
- Probiotic Ingredients Market by Function, Application, End Use, Ingredient, and by Region - Global Trends & Forecast to 2020