INDIA: Frito-Lay swallows rivals in India
Frito-Lay , the snack division of US soft drinks group Pepsi , has bought its only serious rival in the Indian potato chip market, Uncle Chipps . The acquired brand belongs to Uncle Chipps Co. Ltd , based near Delhi. Frito Lay is also buying some machinery from the company.Neither side disclosed the price. Brands not past the hump in the product life cycle have been sold in the near past at approximately the annual sale value, which, in this case, is around US$9m. Amrit Agro, owners of Uncle Chipps. will continue manufacturing the product on contract for Pepsi at their existing facility at Silvassa, a sales tax haven 100 miles north of Bombay. Amrit Agro will continue operating in its other product categories.The snack foods business in India is huge and growing fast. In the packaged snacks business, estimated at about US$600m, packaged potato chips account for about US$44m. This market is dominated by Frito-Lay, Uncle Chipps,
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- PepsiCo sets 2025 nutrition, sustainability goals
- China "transition" drags on Danone Q3
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- CP Foods invests in UK foodservice firm Foodfellas
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016