US: Frozen body lobbies Obama to end Mexican dispute
The American Frozen Food Institute (AFFI) has urged the Obama administration to end a cross-border trucking dispute with Mexico, which has seen tariffs placed on a host of US exports, including frozen potato products.
The omnibus funding bill, recently signed into law by President Barack Obama, ended a US Department of Transportation pilot programme to allow Mexican trucks access to the US highways, provided they meet various safety requirements.
As a result, AFFI said that the US is in violation of its bilateral trade obligations with Mexico on international trucking.
The Mexican government responded with import duties of US$2.4bn worth of US manufactured goods and agricultural exports. Over $900m US agriculture products are impacted by the tariffs.
"The ability to export products around the world is critical to the US food industry, and Mexico is among our most important trading partners," said AFFI president and CEO Kraig Naasz.
"We need swift action from President Obama. Without quick resolution of this issue, many US frozen food companies face a competitive disadvantage due to these punitive tariffs."
Dr Oetker, the German food giant behind Ristorante pizza and Onken yoghurts, said today (17 September) that the head of its Austrian, Swiss and Italian units will next year take on the role of sales d...
UK consumers are increasing buying frozen food, the Food and Drink Federation's Frozen Food Group claimed today (7 September)....
UK frozen food manufacturer Birds Eye is to launch into the takeaway sector with a raft of products....
Nestlé Deutschland is to increase its stake in German frozen food and pizza company Wagner Tiefkuehlprodukte....
UK frozen food retailer Iceland has ended its sponsorship deal with celebrity mum Kerry Katona after the former Atomic Kitten was allegedly caught taking Class A drugs....
Lännen Tehtaat, the Finland-based food group, is to merge its vegetable oils business with its grain and feed trading arm....
Improving second-quarter earnings has not been enough to stop a slump in half-year profits at Finland-based food group Lännen Tehtaat....
Heinz has expanded its Weight Watchers Smart Ones range in the US with the launch of Artisan Creations Grilled Flatbreads....
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- PepsiCo sets 2025 nutrition, sustainability goals
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- China "transition" drags on Danone Q3
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- CP Foods invests in UK foodservice firm Foodfellas
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image