UK: Frozen foods chill Northern Foods H1
Northern Foods, the UK food group, today (9 November) posted half-year losses of over GBP9m (US$14.5m) as its frozen food business suffered from competition in the pizza category.
The company, which owns the Goodfella's pizza brand, booked a first-half loss of GBP9.5m for the 26 weeks to 2 October, against a profit of GBP12.9m a year earlier.
Revenue was down 3% at GBP453m. However, first-half like-for-like sales grew 2.7% after a 6% rise in the second quarter.
Northen's profit from operations reached GBP17.5m, down from GBP20.5m a year ago. The company's chilled and bakery businesses posted rising sales and profits but its frozen arm fell to a loss of GBP4.6m. Last year, frozen delivered a profit of GBP12.9m. Frozen sales were down 24.4% at GBP94.7m.
The group said the frozen category remained "very challenging" and admitted its recent investment in Goodfella's had not led to "profitable sales growth".
Chief executive Stefan Barden said: "Whilst trading conditions remain tough, we are taking decisive actions to ensure Northern Foods remains well placed for these competitive and uncertain market conditions. Our finances remain strong and we continue to trade in line with market expectations."
Shares in Northern were down 1.1% at 45.5p at 10:56 GMT this morning.
Click here for the full statement from Northern Foods.
So, what now lies ahead for Greencore, the Ireland-based convenience food group?...
Ranjit Boparan looks set to seal control of Northern Foods next week, having trumped the merger offer made by Irish food group Greencore late last year. Ben Cooper reports....
The UK's Office of Fair Trading (OFT) has decided not to refer Boparan's takeover of Northern Foods to the Competition Commission....
UK-based farmer co-op ANM Group has brought together its three different meat processing companies into one business unit, ANM Meat Division....
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Metropoulos invests in Utz Quality Foods
- Abbott sees international nutrition sales fall
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review