The UK's Food Standards Agency has welcomed the proposed inquiry announced by the Welsh Assembly Health Minister into the E. coli O157 outbreak in Wales.

In addition, FSA chair Deirdre Hutton has said that the agency's board will discuss in public a report on the outbreak.

"This is a very serious and distressing incident for the many families who have been affected. Our thoughts are with them. The focus at present is, rightly, very much on containing the outbreak and that work continues," Hutton said.

"In addition, I have asked that there be a full public report to the board of the FSA into the outbreak. It is vital to learn any lessons not just in Wales but across the UK," she added.

As of 4pm on Monday 26 September, more than 600 premises had been identified as receiving supplies from John Tudor & Son of Bridgend, which has been linked to the outbreak, although meat received from the company is not necessarily contaminated.

Local authorities have informed the FSA that the vast majority of cooked meats have been removed from use and they are following this up to ensure that all such products are withdrawn.

In addition to schools, public institutions such as care homes, day centres, nurseries and leisure centres had received supplies, as well as one small shop and staff canteens.

There have been 117 cases of E. coli in the latest outbreak in more than 30 schools in South Wales.