UK: FSA calls for tougher EU regulations on food labelling
Following nine months of consultation and consumer research, the Food Standards Agency (FSA) has decided to press for the compulsory, legally binding listing of all allergenic and genetically modified ingredients on all food items sold within the EU.The tough labelling is designed to prevent misleading claims - like "low fat" or "fat free" - and should even be extended to include alcoholic drinks, claims the FSA. The agency says that too many labels are confusing for consumers, and should be made easier to understand.One particular problem area was felt to be children's foods, which are often heavily promoted despite containing damaging excesses of sugar, salt and fat.One third of consumers surveyed by the agency also said they wanted to know if products contained GM ingredients. This has led to an insistence that the EU dictate a clearer regulation on GM-free labelling, and insist that meat labels should say whether animals have been reared on GM feed.Several UK retailers have already taken steps to make labelling clearer, and supermarket giant Tesco has announced that it is working in the same direction as the agency.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Thailand: convenience to continue to thrive
- Nestle India grows with global, digital innovation
- Focus: Thai demographics drive health categories
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Unilever in continuing price spat with Musgrave
- China milk powder arrests prompt Fonterra "review"
- Nestle's Buitoni to remove GMOs
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review