UK: FSA to discuss prices of fatty foods
FSA insists that thinking at an embryonic stage
The UK Food Standards Agency (FSA) plans to discuss ways of using price to reduce the consumption of fatty foods and sugary soft drinks.
The issue has been pencilled in for an FSA board meeting in autumn of this year, a spokesperson for the food safety body confirmed to just-drinks today (10 May).
It is thought that forcing up the price of full sugar soft drinks, as well foods high in saturated fat, may help to reduce consumption. One way of doing this could be via value added tax, which currently does not apply to food.
The FSA spokesperson was, however, keen to emphasise that thinking is only at an embryonic stage.
Reducing sugar and saturated fat consumption has been a key focus for the FSA. In March, for instance, the FSA published recommendations on how food manufacturers and retailers should lower the saturated fat and added sugar in biscuits, cakes and confectionery.
The final part of this month's management briefing focuses on the nutrition guidelines that form the basis of traffic-light and GDA labelling in the UK, as well as the criteria behind the labels on pa...
Salt is the topic of the second part of this month's management briefing from just-food. This section of the reformulation briefing includes a look at salt enhancers, salt replacers and altering the p...
The spotlight was on manufacturers this week as Heinz, Kerry Group and Del Monte all posted positive numbers....
- Challenges for General Mills with The Good Table
- What US companies might Nomad Foods buy?
- Greek crisis - The impact on shopper behaviour
- Competition intensifies among UK burger chains
- Why investors are concerned about water risk
- Mitsubishi buys stake in Olam International
- Unilever claims victory in Becel dispute
- KitKat to go sustainably sourced cocoa only
- Arla strikes JVs in Nigeria and Senegal
- Arla H1 profits down on milk price slump
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Food Flavourings & Colourings (UK) - Industry Report
- Biscuit Manufacturers (UK) - Industry Report
- The Coca-Cola Company : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis
- Cakes, Pastries & Sweet Pies Market in Egypt: Market Profile to 2017