UK: Further case of Classical Swine Fever confirmed in existing surveillance zone
A further case of classical swine fever has been confirmed on a farm in one of the current surveillance zones in Norfolk. This is the first case to be confirmed since the 12th August. Samples were taken from the farm on the 31st August and confirmed positive today. There are various possible links to the previous cases which are currently being investigated. There are about 1000 pigs on the farm which will be slaughtered in the next couple of days. A further infected area will be brought into place at 5pm today. Much of this overlaps an existing infected area and as a result a number of farms at the edge of the previous area will be placed under restriction; many others may remain under restriction for longer than previously envisaged. Following meetings with Baroness Hayman and Ministry officials, Agriculture Minister Nick Brown today said: "This shows the importance of the infected areas and testing procedures because of the incubation period of the disease. These measures are necessary to protect the industry as a whole. The National Farmers Union and the National Pig Association are coming to see me this evening at their request to discuss the economic consequences of the movement restrictions. The present circumstances have been reported to the Commission and will be discussed at the regular meeting of the Standing Veterinary Committee which takes place tomorrow."To find out more about Swine Fever
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- The key questions for digital strategists in 2017
- Unilever 2016 investor day - the top takeaways
- Wessanen's move for Spain's Biogran - analysis
- Whole Foods, Aldi, M&S - retail round-up, Nov 2016
- Burger King, Jollibee: foodservice focus, Nov 2016
- General Mills jobs to go in business revamp
- Verlinvest, China Resources invest in Oatly
- Hain Celestial appoints Nestle executive as US COO
- Tyson sets up US$150m investment fund
- B&G acquires pasta sauce group Victoria Fine Foods
- Confectionery North America (NAFTA) Industry Guide_2016
- How Brands Are Making Our Food Healthier
- Processed Snacks (Savory Snacks) Market in the United States - Outlook to 2020: Market Size, Growth and Forecast Analytics
- Global Dried Processed Food Market 2016-2020
- Frozen Food Production in the US - Industry Market Research Report