USA: Further debate over GM labelling
Following Kraft Food's embarrassing and costly recall of taco shells that were believed to contain GM corn not approved for human consumption, the debate on the labelling of GE food has reopened with increased vigour in the US. Questions on the feasibility of segregating normal crops from GE varieties and the reliability of testing for GMOs abound, but the answers are not forthcoming, and little agreement can be reached. The US is a large producer of GM crops. Around two thirds of all processed food contains GM potatoes, corn or soya beans and many businesses rely on the increased yields that insect resistant or stronger crops provide. If Ohio Democrat Dennis Kucinich gets his way however, the industry could be subject to complete overhaul.Kucinich is sponsoring bills requiring the labelling and safety testing of GM foods and last week spoke of the Kraft fiasco: "It concerns me, and should concern American consumers, that this is a glimpse of things to come as genetically engineered products are rushed to store shelves without real mandatory safety testing and labelling programmes in place."
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- PepsiCo sets 2025 nutrition, sustainability goals
- China "transition" drags on Danone Q3
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- CP Foods invests in UK foodservice firm Foodfellas
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review