IRELAND: Future of ABP's Silvercrest uncertain as site remains closed
The future of APB Food Group's Silvercrest processing facility in Ireland seems uncertain after the group was forced to close the site when it was identified as one of the sources of frozen beef burgers that contained horse DNA.
The facility was shuttered after burgers from the site tested positive for horse DNA in random tests conducted by Ireland's food standards watchdog. Customers including Tesco, Aldi and The Co-operative Group dropped Silvercrest last week after the link was made.
The horse meat ingredient - possibly a filler agent - is believed to have originated in Poland. According to Tesco, the Polish firm identified by the Irish Food Safety Authority was not on Tesco's list of approved suppliers.
A spokesperson for ABP said: "The Silvercrest site remains closed, but we will continue to honour our current contracts. We do not feel it is appropriate to comment further at this stage."
However, Unite the union, has voiced concerns that the loss of business cold threaten jobs at ABP and requested that management keep employees informed on possible casualties.
"Unite has members across different operating units and locations within ABP. Our request of group management is that they keep all staff up to date with the developing situation," a spokesperson told just-food. "We anticipate a meeting with management on this basis in the coming week."
UK snacks firm New York Delhi has secured a listing with Australia's largest retailer Woolworths Ltd but the company insists it is aiming to grow without "selling out" to the large supermarket chains....
- Premier Foods CEO expects UK supermarket rebound
- Why Post is increasing its exposure to cereal
- Briefing: The risks and rewards of e-tail in China
- Comment: Tread carefully over payment terms
- Lacklustre sales see Hershey turn to snacking
- Post Holdings strikes deal to acquire MOM Brands
- Hershey to acquire meat jerky firm Krave
- Up & Go breakfast drinks set for UK launch
- Hershey linked to takeover of jerky maker Krave
- Crisp maker Sibell acquires Spain's Celigueta
- 10 Key Trends in Food, Health and Nutrition 2015
- Unilever - Strategy and SWOT Report
- The Sugar Backlash and its Effects on Global Consumer Markets
- Global Consumer Trend Framework: Understanding Attitudes and Behaviors that Influence Global Consumption Habits
- PepsiCo, Inc. : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Report