UK: FY sales, profits up at Waitrose
Waitrose continues to gain market share
Upmarket UK grocer Waitrose today (6 March) reported a rise in annual sales and profits and a further increase in its share of the country's food retail market.
Waitrose booked a 6% increase in gross sales to GBP6.11bn (US$10.22bn) for the 52 weeks to 25 January. Like-for-like sales grew 5.1%. Waitrose said a "large proportion" of the rise in like-for-likes was due to volume growth.
Operating income climbed 6.1% to GBP310.1m.
The retailer increased its market share for the fifth straight year. The latest data from Kantar Worldpanel, for the 12 weeks to 2 February, showed Waitrose's share of UK grocery sales at 4.9%, up from 4.8% a year earlier.
Gross grocery sales through waitrose.com were up over 41% as Waitrose "nearly doubled" the capacity of its branches to fulfil online orders.
The retailer opened 13 stores last year, taking its network to 305. Forty-two of the stores are its smaller Little Waitrose convenience stores.
Click here for the full statement from Waitrose owner John Lewis Partnership.
Organic food and beverages are made of ingredients derived by adopting environment-friendly and animal-friendly practices that restrict the use of synthetic pesticides and chemical fertilizers. The Or...
UK chilled soup manufacturer The Yorkshire Provender Co. has invested GBP2m (US$3.1m) into expanding its production facilities. ...
- Danone's global push for Danonino – interview
- How Hormel Foods can benefit from Justin's
- Colian hungry for international growth - interview
- The balancing act at Amy's Kitchen - interview
- How discounters unsettling Australia's food sector
- Nestle sets new savings target
- US food labels to include "added sugars" info
- ConAgra focusing on core with Spicetec sale
- Premier takes control of powders JV Knighton
- Kraft Heinz to expand US plant