IRELAND: Fyffes sales, adjusted earnings rise
- Sales rise to EUR306.54m (US$420.2m) from EUR296.5m
- Gross profit, adjusted EBITDA increases
- Exceptional items total EUR6.19m
- Operating profit, net profit decline
Merger costs dent Fyffes earnings
Irish banana group Fyffes booked an increase in sales and adjusted earnings in the first quarter but saw one-off costs related to its pending merger with Chiquita Brands International dent the bottom line.
The company said sales increased to EUR306.5m (US$420.6m) in the three-month period, up from EUR296.5m in the comparable quarter last year.
Gross profit rose 9.1% and adjusted EBITDA rose 14.9% the group revealed. However, operating profit dropped 27.4% due to exceptional costs related to the merger proposal. Net profit sank to EUR7.8m, down from EUR11.3m.
Fyffes reports strong first quarter result
3 months to 3 months to
31 March 2014 31 March 2013
Total revenue 306.5m 296.5m +3.4%
Group revenue 256.7m 243.4m +5.4%
Adjusted EBITDA* 17.8m 15.9m +11.8%
Adjusted EBITA* 16.0m 13.9m +14.9%
Adjusted EBIT * 16.0m 13.5m +19.0%
Adjusted profit before tax * 15.8m 13.4m +18.4%
Adjusted diluted EPS * 4.54 cent 3.85 cent +17.9%
Commenting on the results, David McCann, Chairman, said:
“Fyffes has delivered a strong result in the first quarter of 2014. Adjusted EBITA was 14.9% higher at €16m, including a very good performance in the melon category. The Group is maintaining its full year target Adjusted EBITA range of €30m-€35m. In relation to the proposed merger with Chiquita, a registration statement on Form S-4 has been submitted to the SEC in the US and will be circulated to shareholders once it has been declared effective by them. The review of the proposed merger by anti-trust authorities in various jurisdictions is ongoing.”
* These financial terms are defined on the next page and exclude a €6.2m exceptional charge in connection with the proposed merger with Chiquita.
14 May 2014
Original source: Fyffes
Fyffes plc - Strategy and SWOT Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, product and service offerings and...
Canadean's "Chiquita Brands International, Inc. : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Report" contains in depth information and data about the company and its operations. The p...
Fruit and Vegetable Canning, Including Juices, Sauces, Soups and Dried & Pickled Vegetables, Industry (U.S.): Analytics, Extensive Financial Benchmarks, Metrics and Revenue Forecasts to 2021, NAIC 311
Fruit and Vegetable Canning, Including Juices, Sauces, Soups and Dried & Pickled Vegetables, Industry (U.S.): Analytics, Extensive Financial Benchmarks, Metrics and Revenue Forecasts to 2021, NAIC 311...
The analysts in this report forecast the Global Non-GMO Food market will grow at a CAGR of 15.92 percent over the period 2013-2018. The report covers the present scenario and the growth prospects of t...
Canadean's "Total Produce plc - Company Capsule" contains in depth information and data about the company and its operations. The profile contains a company overview, key facts, major products and ser...
- Why Arla upbeat about LatAm prospects
- M&A Watch - Could Cloetta be takeover target?
- Comment: Can Applegate retain trust under Hormel?
- Sweets & Snacks Expo: just-food's pick
- Focus: Why Dairy Crest needs to offload dairies
- Yildiz eyeing further deals - reports
- Weetabix gets new private-equity investor
- PAI, Pamplona "eyeing Bakkavor stake"
- Food industry news of week: GMOs, Arla, Mondelez
- FrieslandCampina ends Bongrain German tie-up
- Successful New Product Development Strategies in the Food, Drinks and Personal Care Market
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- The Future of the Ice Cream Market in the United Kingdom to 2019
- Marks & Spencer (Asia Pacific) Ltd in Retailing (Hong Kong, China)
- Consumer Foodservice in Indonesia