IRELAND: Fyffes sales, adjusted earnings rise
- Sales rise to EUR306.54m (US$420.2m) from EUR296.5m
- Gross profit, adjusted EBITDA increases
- Exceptional items total EUR6.19m
- Operating profit, net profit decline
Merger costs dent Fyffes earnings
Irish banana group Fyffes booked an increase in sales and adjusted earnings in the first quarter but saw one-off costs related to its pending merger with Chiquita Brands International dent the bottom line.
The company said sales increased to EUR306.5m (US$420.6m) in the three-month period, up from EUR296.5m in the comparable quarter last year.
Gross profit rose 9.1% and adjusted EBITDA rose 14.9% the group revealed. However, operating profit dropped 27.4% due to exceptional costs related to the merger proposal. Net profit sank to EUR7.8m, down from EUR11.3m.
Fyffes reports strong first quarter result
3 months to 3 months to
31 March 2014 31 March 2013
Total revenue 306.5m 296.5m +3.4%
Group revenue 256.7m 243.4m +5.4%
Adjusted EBITDA* 17.8m 15.9m +11.8%
Adjusted EBITA* 16.0m 13.9m +14.9%
Adjusted EBIT * 16.0m 13.5m +19.0%
Adjusted profit before tax * 15.8m 13.4m +18.4%
Adjusted diluted EPS * 4.54 cent 3.85 cent +17.9%
Commenting on the results, David McCann, Chairman, said:
“Fyffes has delivered a strong result in the first quarter of 2014. Adjusted EBITA was 14.9% higher at €16m, including a very good performance in the melon category. The Group is maintaining its full year target Adjusted EBITA range of €30m-€35m. In relation to the proposed merger with Chiquita, a registration statement on Form S-4 has been submitted to the SEC in the US and will be circulated to shareholders once it has been declared effective by them. The review of the proposed merger by anti-trust authorities in various jurisdictions is ongoing.”
* These financial terms are defined on the next page and exclude a €6.2m exceptional charge in connection with the proposed merger with Chiquita.
14 May 2014
Original source: Fyffes
Fyffes plc - Strategy and SWOT Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, product and service offerings and...
Canadean's "Chiquita Brands International, Inc. : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Report" contains in depth information and data about the company and its operations. The p...
Fruit and Vegetable Canning, Including Juices, Sauces, Soups and Dried & Pickled Vegetables, Industry (U.S.): Analytics, Extensive Financial Benchmarks, Metrics and Revenue Forecasts to 2021, NAIC 311
Fruit and Vegetable Canning, Including Juices, Sauces, Soups and Dried & Pickled Vegetables, Industry (U.S.): Analytics, Extensive Financial Benchmarks, Metrics and Revenue Forecasts to 2021, NAIC 311...
The analysts in this report forecast the Global Non-GMO Food market will grow at a CAGR of 15.92 percent over the period 2013-2018. The report covers the present scenario and the growth prospects of t...
- Premier Foods CEO expects UK supermarket rebound
- Why Post is increasing its exposure to cereal
- Briefing: The risks and rewards of e-tail in China
- Unilever must "speed" response to consumer trends
- Comment: Tread carefully over payment terms
- Post Holdings strikes deal to acquire MOM Brands
- Hershey to acquire meat jerky firm Krave
- Up & Go breakfast drinks set for UK launch
- Crisp maker Sibell acquires Spain's Celigueta
- Hershey linked to takeover of jerky maker Krave
- 10 Key Trends in Food, Health and Nutrition 2015
- The Sugar Backlash and its Effects on Global Consumer Markets
- Unilever - Strategy and SWOT Report
- The Future of Retailing in the UK to 2017
- Global Consumer Trend Framework: Understanding Attitudes and Behaviors that Influence Global Consumption Habits