AUDIO: Gardein's Yves Potvin on withstanding competition
Potvin: "We have to stay agile, innovative and fast"
Canadian frozen meat-free business Garden Protein International - the company behind the Gardein brand - has ridden the wave of increasing demand in North America for alternatives to meat and is now the second-largest brand in the category in the US, its largest market.
Yves Potvin founded the Vancouver-based firm in 2009 and secured investment from private-equity firm TSG Consumer Partners. Last November, they sold the business to US group and Birds Eye owner Pinnacle Foods.
This month, Potvin spoke to Dean Best for our latest just the answer interview. In an audio excerpt, you can hear Potvin discuss the competitive landscape in the wake of the merger of Heinz and Kraft Foods Group (the owner of rival meat-free brand Boca) and explain why it is important for a small business to keep its entrepreneurial spirit.
Click here for the full interview article with Potvin.
With the growing population, the demand for food, including seafood, has increased in Europe....
- just-food 2017 Survey - your thoughts on growth
- Food market in 2017: need-to-know US trends
- Food market in 2017: big foodservice trends
- 2017 - what will shape the UK food sector?
- Could BRF's Turkey move pave way for OneFoods IPO?
- Ferrero insists Nutella not pulled from shelves
- Kellogg announces new "nutritious" line-up
- Dairy giant Muller appoints new CFO, COO
- UK's Bakkavor plays down IPO "speculation"
- Kellogg's 1894 fund debut investment in Kuli Kuli