US: General Mills launches chocolate Fiber One
Fiber One 80 Calories chocolate squares target dieters
General Mills is targeting "weight managers" with its launch of a new chocolate Fiber One cereal.
The company is debuting Fiber One 80 Calories Chocolate Squares this month, a "lightly sweetened cereal" with a "touch of cocoa". The chocolate squares offer 80 calories per serving and contain 9 grams of fibre - 35% of the recommended daily requirement - and 5 grams of sugar.
Speaking to just-food, Fiber One's Katie Johnsrud insisted that a sweetened chocolate variety does not contradict Fiber One's "better for you" image.
According to Johnsrud, the product was developed "specifically with the weight manager in mind".
"Dieters should be thrilled that they no longer have to avoid chocolate, which is great because managing your weight doesn't have to be about what you give up....Frequent cereal eaters tend to weigh less than those who don't eat cereal. That's even true if they choose sweet cereals," she insisted.
Johnsrud added that, like other Fiber One variants, the chocolate cereal is a way for consumers to get more fibre into their diets.
"Fiber is an important part of any diet but 9 out of 10 people don't get enough of their daily recommended intake of fiber. We look to bring great taste to fiber, which is what the Fiber One brand is built around."
General Mills unveiled plans for a raft of new products last week as it seeks to improve sales across its business, particularly in the Yoplait owner's yoghurt division. There was a major piece of con...
- What US companies might Nomad Foods buy?
- Competition intensifies among UK burger chains
- Soda draws fire from food in Mexico obesity battle
- Why investors are concerned about water risk
- Challenges for General Mills with The Good Table
- Mondelez CEO Rosenfeld defends moves on costs
- Just Mayo under fire from US FDA after complaint
- B&G Foods "front-runner for Green Giant"
- FrieslandCampina H1 earnings up despite flat sales
- Hearthside to buy nutrition bar maker VSI
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Food Flavourings & Colourings (UK) - Industry Report
- Nestle USA, Inc.: Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis
- The Coca-Cola Company : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis
- Bakery Market in Japan: Forecast, and Market Analysis 2015-2019