US: General Mills launches chocolate Fiber One
Fiber One 80 Calories chocolate squares target dieters
General Mills is targeting "weight managers" with its launch of a new chocolate Fiber One cereal.
The company is debuting Fiber One 80 Calories Chocolate Squares this month, a "lightly sweetened cereal" with a "touch of cocoa". The chocolate squares offer 80 calories per serving and contain 9 grams of fibre - 35% of the recommended daily requirement - and 5 grams of sugar.
Speaking to just-food, Fiber One's Katie Johnsrud insisted that a sweetened chocolate variety does not contradict Fiber One's "better for you" image.
According to Johnsrud, the product was developed "specifically with the weight manager in mind".
"Dieters should be thrilled that they no longer have to avoid chocolate, which is great because managing your weight doesn't have to be about what you give up....Frequent cereal eaters tend to weigh less than those who don't eat cereal. That's even true if they choose sweet cereals," she insisted.
Johnsrud added that, like other Fiber One variants, the chocolate cereal is a way for consumers to get more fibre into their diets.
"Fiber is an important part of any diet but 9 out of 10 people don't get enough of their daily recommended intake of fiber. We look to bring great taste to fiber, which is what the Fiber One brand is built around."
General Mills unveiled plans for a raft of new products last week as it seeks to improve sales across its business, particularly in the Yoplait owner's yoghurt division. There was a major piece of con...
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- The benefits of engaging staff in sustainability
- How food companies involve staff in sustainability
- What next for Bernard Matthews? - comment
- Why Danone is withdrawing Dumex from Vietnam
- Fonterra says value-added strategy paying off
- B&G Foods acquires ABF's US spice business
- Ireland unveils national plan to tackle obesity
- General Mills profit falls as sales disappoint
- Bernard Matthews pensions scheme under review
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Food and Drinks Closures: Performance and Opportunities