US: General Mills launches Green Giant veg purees
General Mills has launched Green Giant Veggie Blend-Ins
General Mills has introduced a range of Green Giant vegetable purees in the US in a bid to get more Americans to introduce vegetables into their diets.
Green Giant Veggie Blend-Ins are 100% vegetable purees and can be introduced into meals or used for smoothies or in baked goods such as cupcakes or brownies.
The products are only available through Amazon, although General Mills told just-food it intends to roll out the products into mainstream retailers.
The company has teamed up with US author Jessica Seinfeld for the launch. Seinfeld mentions "homemade vegetable purees" in her book Deceptively Delicious.
According to the US Department of Agriculture, vegetables should make up around 30% of each meal. The 2013 Centers for Disease Control State Indicator Report on Fruits and Vegetables showed adults in the US are serving themselves vegetables only 1.6 times per day.
"Studies show there is significant room for improvement in vegetable consumption, and Green Giant Veggie Blend-Ins deliver a solution that is so easy. Just add them to your go-to favorite foods, and feel better about making your foods better. It's truly a habit worth starting," said Polly Madsen, Green Giant Veggie Blend-Ins marketing manager.
A box of nine 4-ounce Veggie Blend-Ins pouches sells for $14.06 on Amazon.
- Nestle on China, candy, nutrition - analysis
- Why Jet.com purchase could boost Wal-Mart online
- What lies ahead for Tyrrells and Amplify?
- England child obesity plan should cheer industry
- Hain accounting issue rounds off problem year
- Mondelez buys rest of Vietnam snacks business
- Lotus Bakeries enjoys growth organically, via M&A
- Smucker cuts forecast as sales decline
- Emmi earnings grow but sales outlook lowered
- Unite outlines 2 Sisters stance on UK pizza site