US: General Mills pulled up over Yoplait vs. Chobani ad claims
The NAD has pulled General Mills up over its latest ad claims against Chobani
The National Advertising Division said General Mills, parent firm of Yoplait, "can support certain claims made for its Yoplait "Greek" yoghurt in online advertising and social media, but recommended the advertiser discontinue or modify certain claims".
Chobani had challenged some of the claims made by General Mills including: "The Greek Yoghurt Taste-Off is on: Yoplait Greek Is Significantly Preferred over Chobani; Tastes Better Than the Leading Chobani; Based on a nationwide, double-blinded taste test of Yoplait Greek Blueberry yogurt and Chobani Blueberry Fruit on the Bottom Yogurt; It's so much better than Chobani; In a national taste test, nearly 2 out of 3 Americans agree that Yoplait Greek tastes better than Chobani; My #TasteOff is done, @YoplaitGreek has won"
The watchdog ruled in favour of the claims supported by evidence and those claims that "clearly identified the object compared and was therefore substantiated by the taste test results".
However General Mills was asked to "discontinue or modify its claim" comparing Yoplait Greek blueberry to Chobani, "to expressly state the basis for comparison".
NAD recommended future advertising "more clearly" separated claims about Yoplait's taste test results "from the comments it has solicited on taste preferences".
General Mills responded saying it did "not believe" its comparison to the 'leading Chobani' was unclear in the overall context of the ads.
"It nonetheless will take NAD's recommendations into consideration in future advertising campaigns," it added.
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- The benefits of engaging staff in sustainability
- How food companies involve staff in sustainability
- Why Danone is withdrawing Dumex from Vietnam
- Why May's Brexit comments give reason for optimism
- 2 Sisters chief Boparan buys Bernard Matthews
- Fonterra says value-added strategy paying off
- B&G Foods acquires ABF's US spice business
- General Mills profit falls as sales disappoint
- Bernard Matthews pensions scheme under review
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Global Food and Drinks Closures: Performance and Opportunities
- Fast Food Restaurants in the US - Industry Market Research Report