US: General Mills pulled up over Yoplait vs. Chobani ad claims
The NAD has pulled General Mills up over its latest ad claims against Chobani
The National Advertising Division said General Mills, parent firm of Yoplait, "can support certain claims made for its Yoplait "Greek" yoghurt in online advertising and social media, but recommended the advertiser discontinue or modify certain claims".
Chobani had challenged some of the claims made by General Mills including: "The Greek Yoghurt Taste-Off is on: Yoplait Greek Is Significantly Preferred over Chobani; Tastes Better Than the Leading Chobani; Based on a nationwide, double-blinded taste test of Yoplait Greek Blueberry yogurt and Chobani Blueberry Fruit on the Bottom Yogurt; It's so much better than Chobani; In a national taste test, nearly 2 out of 3 Americans agree that Yoplait Greek tastes better than Chobani; My #TasteOff is done, @YoplaitGreek has won"
The watchdog ruled in favour of the claims supported by evidence and those claims that "clearly identified the object compared and was therefore substantiated by the taste test results".
However General Mills was asked to "discontinue or modify its claim" comparing Yoplait Greek blueberry to Chobani, "to expressly state the basis for comparison".
NAD recommended future advertising "more clearly" separated claims about Yoplait's taste test results "from the comments it has solicited on taste preferences".
General Mills responded saying it did "not believe" its comparison to the 'leading Chobani' was unclear in the overall context of the ads.
"It nonetheless will take NAD's recommendations into consideration in future advertising campaigns," it added.
Canadean's "General Mills, Inc. : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Report" contains in depth information and data about the company and its operations. The profile contains ...
MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organi...
General Mills continues to record growth in packaged food sales although it faces stagnation in some of its core categories, such as breakfast cereals. It is also undermined by a geographic bias towar...
General Mills focuses on growth by capitalising on current consumer trends in the US packaged food industry, most notably convenience, health and premiumisation. While the company has previously engag...
- What US companies might Nomad Foods buy?
- Competition intensifies among UK burger chains
- Soda draws fire from food in Mexico obesity battle
- Why investors are concerned about water risk
- Why Flowers Foods organic bread deal is a killer
- Mondelez CEO Rosenfeld defends moves on costs
- Just Mayo under fire from US FDA after complaint
- FrieslandCampina H1 earnings up despite flat sales
- Ajinomoto "eyes acquisitions in Europe"
- Hearthside to buy nutrition bar maker VSI
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Nestle USA, Inc.: Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis
- The Coca-Cola Company : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis
- Chocolate and Chocolate Candy Manufacturing Industry (U.S.): Analytics, Extensive Financial Benchmarks, Metrics and Revenue Forecasts to 2022
- Food Flavourings & Colourings (UK) - Industry Report